Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3131 times)

Judypu

Hello
« on: December 24, 2008, 08:15:39 pm »
I was searching for information online today on former road racer from Finland Teuvo "Tepi" Lansivuori, who was a friend of my husband's, and found a list of Finnish known racers.  I noticed my late husband, Peter Lamppu's name was strangely not on the list.  I then found this site and found insufficient information on him here.  As soon as I have time, I'd like to update and add what I know about him to this site.  We were married from 1972 while his motocross career was still ongoing, until his death in 1995.  I would like to  honor him as best I can by adding as much as I can to the known facts of his life and career.  This is why I have joined this group.  I am certainly not a techie or very knowledgable about a subject you all know much more about, but I do know a different aspect of the life on the road of a motocross family and that is what I'll add.  Happy holidays to you all.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 08:41:10 pm »
G'day  and Welcome to Ozvmx I am sure there will be plenty of vmx people out there interested in your husbands career.jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:49:29 pm »
Hey judypu. the best thing about the internet is it makes the world a lot smaller.
 cant say I have heard any of the names mentioned but someone here may have . another avenue  perhaps would be to  contact somone from  the scandanavian arena . this guy is a swedish suzuki fanatic so if your husband rode for suzuki he may be able to shed some light.
 merry xmas

Jarmo Haapamäki

[email protected]

firko

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:01:35 pm »
Great rider Peter Lamppu. I had the pleasure of knowing him back in the 70's and early 80's when I worked for Mike Goodwins Stadium Motorsports in California. We got to know each other reasonably well, I guess it was a foreigners in America thing. We weren't mates by any stretch but always had a hi and a little chat whenever our paths crossed. He was a nice bloke. I remember him telling me that he worked at Universal Studios as a carpenter set builder or something similar.

Judy, I think the big problem with Pete not coming up as a Finnish rider is that the Americans regarded him as one of their own, and the fact that he raced in the USA for most of his career.

Welcome to the site. There's a lot of Montesa weirdos here that'll make you feel quite at home! ;D

Judypu

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 10:18:16 am »
I was so nice to hear from some folks who did know who Peter was and even some who didn't.  He actually raced longer in Finland but in many categories: Sidecar, ice racing (trucks, bikes, whatever...), enduros, trials, cross-country and I don't know what else.  His brothers in Finland also raced and could probably tell me even more.  In fact, when he was in the Finnish military, he would get off base (maybe when he wasn't supposed to) and race alongside his brothers and his commanding officer would question him about winning a race somewhere when he wasn't supposed to be out there.  He'd tell him they always mixed him up with his brothers.  When he retired, he joined me working in the movie and TV studios and did become a renown construction foreman on some major films.  I've been searching for an article I wrote for Cycle News East called ELEVEN WEEKS about the 1972 Trans AMA series and when I locate it, it will help me update his info for anyone online who may be interested.

Maico31

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 12:04:20 pm »
I remember seeing Peter Lamppu in Motocross Action racing the Trans Ama series and US nationals on Montesa and Kawasaki's in the 70's. Would be good to read your article about the '72 Trans Ama.