Author Topic: OSSA desert phantom with GP3 engine  (Read 5863 times)

OSSA PHANTOM

OSSA desert phantom with GP3 engine
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:43:57 pm »
 Here's photo of my desert phantom. It has GP3 engine with the Yamaha rod kit and a few other mod. The fasteners, axles, swingarm pivot etc. are all titanium. The shift lever and the magneto cover were made by me.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: OSSA desert phantom with GP3 engine
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:09:33 am »
Hi Phantom & welcome. Nice bike. I'm also trying to complete a desert phantom, all-be-it ever so slowly (like Evo555).

Can you show us a shot of the other side showing the magneto cover you made?

OSSA PHANTOM

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:47:29 pm »
 Here is the opposite side

Mark Austin

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:01:43 pm »
What a brilliant looking Spanish beauty!
What's the difference between a Desert Phantom and a MX Phantom?
Cheers,
Mark

firko

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 10:48:14 pm »
I've posted this before but here's ex OSSA factory rider Garry Hodges modified and street legal Desert Phantom. Garry still owns and occasionally races the very same '74 Phantom he raced back in the day as well as this bike that was originally built up for enduros in 1975. He rode it in the Hattah or Sunrasia rallys. It's got Yamaha forks and different rear shock mounts among other period mods. That's legendary journalist Warren 'Wazza' Jack (in hat) talking OSSAS with Hodgy at Kamp Kevlar, CD5.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:23:54 am by firko »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:09:14 am »
Phantom,

Looks great, I have toyed with the idea of a black phantom......if only the blue wasn't so "dead sexy" (insert fat barstard from austin powers voice)

What a great idea the clutch saver above the front sprocket is, might try and adopt that one myself if you don't mind.

That brake snake hangs lower than a .............

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 10:16:58 am »
Ausco,

Desert Phantoms had larger tank, slightly wider ratio gearbox (1st gear was slightly lower), longer piston skirt for milder inlet duration & heavier flywheel (I think). May have had lower compression ratio as well. Some models had vertical rear shocks also for more rear travel.

Evo, there was a black model "Six Day" (not SDR) in late 70s/early 80s which was pretty much a desert phantom w up-pipe

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:43:24 am »
Yeah J.C.

I've seen pix of them, never in the flesh, I think they were based loosley on the gp2.
Like the colour, but they should have done more with the graphics a gold "OSSA" on the tank was a bit bland for me.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:49:43 am by evo550 »

OSSA PHANTOM

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:12:48 pm »
 Firko,
  That's a great looking desert phantom, did he bend the up pipe or modify a Jap pipe?

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 01:02:54 pm »
I agree Evo, far too much black & nothing else.

The frame seems to me to be actually GP phantom based (not GP2) - has GP rear suspension configuration & doesn't have the kink in the RHS frame tube for the up-pipe, which was a bit of a strange decision by Ossa. Pipe must stick out a long way.

Gary Hodges D/Phantom has the shocks laid down far too far for my liking, giving falling-rate regression not rising rate progression. Consider the angle of those shocks on full compression.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 02:11:25 pm »
Think you might be right J.C. a GP it is....and maybe just a gp2 side plate.
That mag cover looks a bit odd as well.

I also agree on the D/Phantom, but didn't want to say anything, Firko has been real cranky of late. ;) ;)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 10:26:20 am »
Yeh Evo,

Original 78 model had white guards & some had red lettering on tank. Later ones I believe were red tank & sidecovers. I still love them anyway & am seriously considering doing up my 75 Phantom GP 'bones' into a 6-Day style Vinduro - but not black.

Like you, I find it hard to go past the blue/red/white of GP2, but also like the red/gold of Hodgies bike.

I think the mag cover maybe a std one trimmed down/hollowed out.