Author Topic: class eligibilty  (Read 1214 times)

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
class eligibilty
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:58:25 pm »
i know this subject has been flogged to death over the last however long, but i have a suggestion for class eligibilty that may warrant some discussion. Instead of having PRE75, PRE 78, PRE80 etc, what about UP TO 75, UP TO 78, UP TO 80 etc. Correct me if i am wrong but i would think that 74 models would be competitive with most 75 models, and lets be realistic this would also allow the 75 class to hve a longer lifespan i would think.I am aware that there could be some inherent problems, ie KX125/250 1980 models having a linkage, but in all honesty when was the last time a kx125/250 of that era was at a race meet? And if it they are out there bring them along!! By opening it up to those year models would allow RM/C ,YZ/E, CR/R and others to compete in with machines more correct than the current classes allows. Also allowed should be follow on mdels without any real technical advantage, ie YZ250/465H, 81 KX250/420 and others i cant think of at this moment. There will always be  people grafting later model internals/cylinders/swingarms etc, it has always happened and probably always will. If they are keen enough to make a bike the way they want let 'em go. i am going to ride my newly aquired 81 RM250X in the 85 class, i know there are big differences between theyears at that time what with watercooling,disc brakes etc but who cares!! not me!! ;D
I have only just returned to VMX after a break of some 13years while i just rode modern stuff. i am interested to see what opinions others have of this idea, as i really couldnt give a s#$% what people rode so long as everyone has a ball... Another idea would be at riders briefing ask everyone who really,REALLY, wants a trophy to come forward and the promoting club could give them a trophy then and there and the rest of us could get on with the FUN of having a ride without the rule book nazis/trophy hunters. Just something to chew on.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: class eligibilty
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:24:29 pm »
is this a dave tanner alias ?

obviously its a thinly veiled plot to ride 75 Rm's against us poor old TM's, thats compeditive not.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:34:52 pm »
 Welcome Suzuki311, please read back a bit on forum this subject has been flogged and flogged. Some 75 models are allowed in pre75 as there are no changes except paint and graphics. (Honda cr125 example) but as Freaky stated above. RM against TM and the like not on, Hence the Pre78 class. Cheers Tim
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:56:51 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:11:36 pm »
Hi 311 whoever you maybe. This has been flogged to death alright and I'm a cuplrit but the best answer is just get out there and ride whatever you have and enjoy it regardless. I do agree with Tim and probably most others on this matter but I do hold some reservations about the 'pre'78 format.

Pre'75 should be left as it is. It works fine and no-one's complaining.

As stated there is a huge advantage to be had running a 1975 RM125S or M against 99% of pre'75 models or infact near any of the 1975 models. The '75 TM125M is allowed to run pre'75 as are other '75's if they're a genuine flow on model. The issue of the '75 models that are and, are not allowed, is already taken care of. It seems to work just fine. Evo pre'80 also seems to work well and lastly so does the pre'85. My only real gripe is not really a gripe at all but simply an era mismatch of tossing the majority of 1978 models in with evo all for the sake of a few 'superior' models which are very rarely found at meetings. The YZ465G yamaha's should stay with Evo as the cubic capacity was increased substancially over the YZ400F and this alone is change enough. The '78 RM400C suzuki up from the '77 370cc model could also be rejected for this particular reason. All it takes is a little commonsense but as stated, to disadvantage a majority over a minority of models you'll rarely see at the track doesn't seem smart. The Pre'75 and Evo's get the numbers on the grids but usually pre'78 lacks a little. Allowing 99% of '78 models to run with the closer '77 model cousins it could in theory kill 2 birds with 1 stone as there aren't many people who choose to run a '78 model over the better Evo models from '79/'80. Thirdly it has the potential to solve the eligabily question hanging over the use of alloy swingarms that have been proven to exist on the '77 Suzuki's ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:14:03 pm by Doc »

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:00:05 pm »
suzuki311 a mate of mine rode his 80KX250 in every VIPER pre85125/250 class this year

Andy viper#70
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A