Author Topic: Montesa 360 side port Head and Barrel.  (Read 4268 times)

mx250

Montesa 360 side port Head and Barrel.
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:04:06 pm »
Used Montesa 360 side port Head, Barrel and piston.

Suitable for VA but will also fit earlier VR and V75 I believe. Will swap over and bolt straight up to the 250 bottom end. Will fit the period 250 enduros as well I believe.

I'm expecting top dollar unfortunately. I'm actually being fatalistic coming to a decision to restore a side port 360 enduro out of the bits I have, or a H6 based 250 reed valve. If this sells for good money I'll restore the H6. If it doesn't I'll offer the 250 reed valve barrel head etc.

$300 ono. (A new piston, if you can find one, will cost that).

Additional pixies available, just ask.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Montesa 360 side port Head and Barrel.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »
MX,

I didn't think Mon made a side-port 360 Enduro. Are you turning a VA 360 engine into an enduro?

And I'm fairly sure a 360 top end won't bolt straight on a VR/V75 bottome end. The cases would have to be machined out & I think the stud spacing is different. VR/V75 studs are 70x70mm. I think the VA360 studs are about 78x78mm.

Also the VR250 rod only takes a 16mm dia gudgeon. I'd be very surprised if the 360 piston uses the same size.

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:34:46 pm »
360 has an 18mm pin from 77, not sure about the VA.

mx250

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:48:02 pm »
If I get stuck with these parts I was going to play mix and match with VA cases, crank, this barrel and head with H6 6speed box, slotted into an early side port frame. I'm not 100% sure it all will work or fit ::).

I like this combo for appearance. Should end up with something for Vinduro looking like....
I offer the barrel head and piston here in case someone else would like a lash at a Monty bitza special ;).

If I go 250 reed valve it should end up like .....

I have the making of a 6 speed 250 in a H6 frame. Got forks for H6 but will need wheels +++ for both projects.

I won't be doing both ;). I've got to get a little disclipline (one project at a time ::)) a little 'elbow room' in the garage, and a little finance to put into the other projects 8). As I said, Im being fatalistic letting the market dictate to me :P.

I'll give things a few more days here and then try EvilBay  ;D.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:51:47 pm »
G,

I think yr mix & match w sideport barrell, VA cases & H6 enduro g/box will work, so long as they're 360VA cases & crank/rod. Lyall O'Brien once told me the 5sp enduro g'box goes straight in & the 360VA cases go straight in the VR/Enduro frame.

In fact Lyall also told me he sold many of the VA360's converted to enduros w enduro g'box.

I am a bit interested in yr barrell & head. Can you measure the stud spacing on the barrell for me pls & the OD of the skirt at the bot of barrell.

BTW is that a hairline crack on the piston to the left of the boost hole? Or just a hair/mark.

mx250

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:23:24 pm »
BTW is that a hairline crack on the piston to the left of the boost hole? Or just a hair/mark.
Dog hair - I've got a Husky and both she and the barrel shared the back seat for a while ;). Just got back from my bushwalk with my 'personal trainer' - she doesn't let me forget ;) ;D.

mx250

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:11:57 pm »
I think yr mix & match w sideport barrell, VA cases & H6 enduro g/box will work, so long as they're 360VA cases & crank/rod. Lyall O'Brien once told me the 5sp enduro g'box goes straight in & the 360VA cases go straight in the VR/Enduro frame.
Maybe you shouldn't have told me that. Looking at that pixie and listening to you my imagination is starting to fire up :-\.

. Can you measure the stud spacing on the barrell for me pls & the OD of the skirt at the bot of barrell.
Studs are 76mm x 85mm. Hole 13mm dia.

Barrel 83.4mm top and bottom.

The history of the motor/barrel as I know it is that it was NOS out of Ryans. It went to Monty indentity Ron Merrit at Portland/Lithgow. It was put into a hybrid, the '6 foot' bike (it was TALL), and used a few times but been tall, a MX360 and a four speed mx box it was inappropriate on the steep shaley hills of Sunny Corner and quickly parked and forgotten.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 05:02:22 am »
& the OD of the skirt at the bot of barrell.

Oppps. What was I thinking ::). You needed to know if it would fit into the cases; 92.3 mm OD. :)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:16:38 am »
G,

Is the stud space 85wide x 76front-to-back or the other way around?

The 5sp enduro box has a massive gap between 1st & 2nd (37% drop) & fairly wide 2nd-3rd (31%). The 6 sp has much better gaps (as you would expect).

I think that the 6sp will fit wherever the 5sp does but it might be worth checking that w Jared.

That was probably the bike Ron Merrick lengthened the swinarm 4" for. Yes 100mm! Must have been a hill-climber. Can only guess how much flex it would have had tho cos it had no extra bracing. Likewise one can only wonder about the handling of such a bike w 60" wheelbase.

mx250

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 05:02:46 am »
85mm front to rear.

I asked Jared about the box sometime ago and he wasn't sure bit thouight it would.

So it was 6 foot long not 6 foot high.

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:30 pm »
I just built a 360 VA motor and used the 5 speed trans from a VR.
It will fit, but you have to grind away some meat from the cases
to let 1st gear on the primary shaft rotate ok.  Also a little has to
be removed from the area where the kickstarter gear goes.