Author Topic: Some simple questions i can't get answered  (Read 2057 times)

mitchrohr

Some simple questions i can't get answered
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:57:38 pm »
Hey guys. As some of you may know i'm planning on rebuilding a Suzuki TS250. Seeing as how i know nothing about rebuilding bikes, and i bought it mainly to learn about it, I was wondering if anyone answer some simple questions i have. Firstly, what's the go with the battery? The bike i bought dosen't have one, and dosent look like it ever has, in the sense that there is no recognisable place for it, as well as the fact that it is kickstart? Bear with me, im a total noob to dirtbikes & two strokes. Also, the head has two spots for a spark plug? What is the reason for this? Do they foul that quickly that you change over during a ride? Or is there something else that needs to go in there? Thanks for your time guys.

Mitch

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Some simple questions i can't get answered
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »
Hi,

I'll have a go at this, it probably does not or never had a battery, it would have an inbuilt generator to operate any electricals, it would have two spark plug holes possibly just so it has a spare if the main does foul, not meaning it would do so on a regular basis, but just in case, also these second holes can be fitted with decompresion vaulve if needed.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:58:14 pm »
TS being a dual purpose bike complete with lights  and blinkers all had batteries when they left the factory. The batteries were used to run the lighting system . . The original wiring system can be altered so the lights will run  without the use of a battery  but getting a constant supply of "clean" power to the lights requires a few gadgets  . also the lights wont work unless the engine is running.
The generator has two coils  to supply power,1 for the engine and the other for the lighting. If you dont have the lights connected all that heavy wiring system and lighting coil can be removed .

as for the spark plus yes plugs do foul  depending on engine condition and fuel so a spare plug already installed was seen as a good idea by many bike companies whoever placement of the plugs isnt possible to achieve optimum combustion chamber design with two plugs. bitof a trade off for convenience rather than performance.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:29:10 pm »
depends on what TS we are talking about but the later 70's/early 80's 6volt ones i am thinking of only use the battery as a store to supply DC power (which is first supplied as AC current from the alternator and converted to DC via a half wave rectifier)for the blinkers, horn and brake light and the battery has nothing to do with the headlight or tail light. the head and tail light operates direct from the magneto or AC generator/alternator and produces AC for the head and tail lights. A 6 volt AC voltage regulator would have originally been fitted as well to prevent bulbs blowing from over voltage but im not 100% sure on your model as there was a system that used no regualor which was how the 77-84 PE's operated. so its quite simple to have lights with no battery, but if you want blinkers, horn, brake light you generally need a battery or large capacitor unless you want to do modifications etc to make all these items work with no battery and since you say this is 'all new to you' i will not attempt to explain how to do it as it will probably just confuse you.

if yours is the 76 model i reckon the battery would go in between the frame rails under the exhaust pipe maybe or under the seat. it would be somewhere in the middle of the bike. it will only be small, its not like a 12 volt road bike battery
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:42:04 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 05:21:24 pm »
Dont know why Dual spark plugs were fitted to Jap trail bikes  ??? But on early Euro trials bikes a hot plug was fitted for the transport sections and a Cold plug for the trials sections (or was it the other way round  :-\ )
All TS 250s were fitted with batteries check www.alphasports.com for parts diagrams for all models and location of battery box  :)

Doc

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »
uh huh, and it's true without the battery fitted on the pre '78 TS series you'll blow bulbs like they are going out of fashion (which incidently they are but that's beside the point ;D) Unless you have some experience capacitors, regulators and rectifiers will all mean jack squat in laymans terms. It can get very confusing. I have the 1971 TS250 wiring diagrams. it should be very similar to yours but there maybe slight changes. ;)
http://bomumq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pL1GpgpW0eEN3RDrOtCvizBVN_3R4NVZNfUJh_bILH4ZG8lfb9V2WOIOs36RGUCgyfimn5j3ofFA/Suzuki%20TS250R%20wiring%20diagram%20Standard.jpg
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:34:33 pm by Doc »

mitchrohr

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 04:02:02 pm »
Thanks heaps for your help guys! Time for me to hit the garage! Cheers

Mitch.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 05:02:09 pm »
from my memory the DT1 featured in the advertising that it was fitted with an 'enduro head' which was explained to be an advantage in that if a plug fouled you simply changed the lead across. in fact when my friend freddy boyd last rode [it was at the 40 years at nepean meet]the DT1 he was loaned fouled a plug on the start line and i switched the leads over and it firered up instantly   cheers.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!