Author Topic: XR75 rear suspension advice please  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Adam

• Novice
    • View Profile
XR75 rear suspension advice please
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
Gents,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with some suspension advice.

I'm restoring my 77 XR75 (K4) that I've owned since new and I've gone a bit over the top.  I'm trying to faithfully restore the bike to its original specs, down to every last nut and bolt. My problem is that whilst the rear shocks probably still function close enough to their original limited ability, they now look very ordinary due to having had a hard life.

I've pulled the units apart and I'm wondering is it possible to have the damper unit rechromed without effecting its movement. My other question is, can I source similar springs somewhere or can the the original springs be stripped and recoated. I would prefer to replace the springs if I can find something compatible to the orginals.  Although my Clymer handbook doesn't have the correct service limits for the spring length, I'm guessing mine are well outside the correct specs.

All my usual sources for parts - Honda, Re-MX, CMS, XR Mini Racer etc, don't have the springs for the K4 onwards.  Repro shocks, like most other parts available through places like Re-MX, only seem to cater for K0 to K3s.

Many thanks in anticipation

Re: XR75 rear suspension advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »
i'm sure our mate walter from yss suspension wil chime in shortly to help you out with advice/info on what he can do.

YSS

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »
replacement shocks for XR75 $195.00 a pair

magoo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:15:25 AM »
I get springs sandblasted and powdercoated all the time. Even the worst,  shittiest springs come up like new.

firko

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »
Okay Magoo, open up. Who does your powder coating? I've got a couple of pairs of Works Performance springs I want to rid of that awful blue paint..........
BTW, It's been quite a while since the last meeting of the Narellan Brains Trust. 

YSS

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
Firko , we do stripping $5.00 Blasting $5.00  and Coating ( any color ) $10..00 per spring

magoo

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 11:35:16 AM »
Next week for sure big fella, I'll call you

firko

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 11:41:54 AM »
Good one Walter. I'll PM you.......

Offline Adam

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
Thanks for the info,

I ended up pulling them apart myself. Had the dampers re-chromed, got the springs bead blasted and re-powdercoated and the alloy top eye housing and adjuster cam were hydro blasted. With new bushes, top and bottom, they look brand new.  Total cost was probably around $50 - $60.