Author Topic: Any tricks for removing stubborn flywheels??  (Read 9251 times)

Doc

Re: Any tricks for removing stubborn flywheels??
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:32 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D it's off!! The God of VMX has shown mercy on me! Thank you oh Great God Of VMX!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 03:55:56 pm »
yiipppeeee.
is it safe to ask HOW ?
Best is in the West !!

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 04:08:27 pm »
ive got one stuck on a xt 250 at the moment so how did you get it off doc

Doc

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 06:17:24 pm »
errr..how did I get it off?? I left the puller on for 3 days, belted it to buggery for 2 days then today I tapped it lightly once and it just fell off  :o ???

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 07:27:42 pm »
There is a need for more people like you Doc, in the mining industry for time management.  ;)  ;D Good on ya.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:34:30 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:11 pm »
g,day that reminds me i have a fly wheel that i cant get off an xt 500 ! i destroyed one yamaha puller after soaking over night with inox tried heat still no joy so i thought i dont need the flywheel so i welded to 1/2 inch bolts to the fly wheel with a dirty big crosshead puller across the ends of the bolts. i heated the fly wheel red hot with the oxy GUESS WHAT its still on there 12 months later!!! as the fox said about the grapes theyre's no good parts left there any way.  here's another tip my rt1 occasionally shears the fly wheel key with subsequent damage to the fly wheel & the shaft so i took a tip from briggs &stratton made an aluminium key and if the key shears presto no damage to the shaft or the f/wheel .cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Doc

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 05:16:12 pm »
well hopefully sheared woodruff keys will be history running the internal rotor but a good tip all the same Wally..the beasty is all ready now excepting the rear sprocket which Brent is kindly flattening and thinning for me ;D  no race winner here but it shouldn't be too bad. I babble on about the converted trailies so I best be seen riding one  :P..roll on August 9/10  ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2719300392_1513fd2d68_o.jpg

even tidied up under the ducktail as it's a pretty ugly void without a tail light  :-[  I could never get rid of that ducktail as it reminds me so much of the Valiant Charger (and the Z9's from the same era) :D go the wog chariots!!  :P

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:37:48 am by Doc »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 06:51:38 pm »
where do ya get it!!  :P used to be an ad on TV like that but I can't remember what for..

Hey Doc, I've enjoyed this thread but I had nothing to offer on the 'how to remove' stuff - but I remember the ad you're on about.
It was for SUPA VALU shops (only in Qld?) sometime around 1975.

A really irritating screechy bloke on the telly and radio shouting, "Tins of Campbells soup for only 35 cents - Where do ya get it?! Bananas only $1.00 a bunch - Where do ya get it?!, shampoo..." and on it went!
Ring a bell?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 07:34:38 pm »
Nice bike Chris, all up to your usual high standard and low budget ethic.

I once pulled a flywheel off an RG 250 gamma that pulled the shaft out of the crank wheel with the flywheel still stuck onto it.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Doc

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 07:59:54 pm »
 :D that's the ad Wombat..I never remember where he'd get it but I sure remember where I wanted to shove it!  >:(  irritating even now..but eh, effective marketing obviously..I mean both of us remembered it!!  ;) oh and even after all the effort I still don't have any tips to add for ease of flywheel removal..it either wants to come off or it doesn't and it will when it's good and ready and not a second before..simple as that  ::)

CG..to tell the truth with all the banging I was doing I was worried either bearing damage, case damage, crank damage or some other unforeseen form of damage may ensure but fortunately the only thing that got damaged was my brain. Everything feels okay but I wonder. I had some sense to limit myself to a quarter pound engineers hammer with a shorty handle so as I couldn't get too carried away but yeah, I had a fleeting vision of the whole deal snapping the end off the crank and me shooting myself later the same night..only in the foot of course..I'm not that insane or excitable over a stubborn magneto..close but not quite :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:03:19 pm by Doc »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 09:24:49 pm »
Oh, and your bike is pure hornbag! Funny how the old trailies looked docile back in the day but now, with the passage of time and increased rarity, these old beauties are dead set sexy. :P
The Kwaka really looks the goods! :P ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Doc

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 07:23:03 am »
uh huh..I thought the old kwaka trailies were the ugliest thing God ever put guts into when I was 20ish or younger ;D Nowdays I think they look devine  8) next time you are stopped behind an old car at the lights, say an old Ford or Valiant. Sit back and take a good look. For mine, I have never looked close enough and after only glancing at them for 30 years when I now look at these models they have changed and have become very interesting and not quite as I remembered them. It's the same with the kwack, until I sat and looked closely I never realized what I was missing. Try the car thing, even works at Woolies carpark if you can find something old enough..'60's/'70's models do the trick, if it's slightly obscure to start with (say an EJ Holden sedan) than that's even better again and it will be a real eye opener. You have to take the time to stand and really look from a different perspective, not the usual side on or front veiw, veiw it from say the rear or it won't work. This is why I like to do it while following ;) thanks for the comments too :) if nothing else I do like them to sit pretty ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:32:59 am by Doc »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 10:34:34 am »
Nice bike Chris, all up to your usual high standard and low budget ethic.

I once pulled a flywheel off an RG 250 gamma that pulled the shaft out of the crank wheel with the flywheel still stuck onto it.
i can just immagine the look on your face...would be classic!!! cheers wally.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 06:19:01 pm »
yesterday i was in my little shed trying to make some room and my stuck on flywheel was grinning at me so i said to my self "self have another go"..so i got my drill and drilled a hole next to the key broke three drill bits ,said that might do ,got my battered crosshead puller attached wound it up tight plus won or two raps wit a large hammer bingo of it came!. the taper on the shaft is fie. so i have some usable parts.cheers.