Author Topic: Pre '75 four stroke conversion. Honda into CZ  (Read 2145 times)

Pre '75 four stroke conversion. Honda into CZ
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:19:44 pm »
My dad wants to utilize a CZ yellow tanker by putting a Honda four stroke in it. It seems to be a common thing to put an XL into a Maico frame. Just wondering if anyone has done the exercise ?

firko

Re: Pre '75 four stroke conversion. Honda into CZ
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:41:01 pm »
Yeah Brad, I've done it...or at least I inherited a bike another racers "too hard basket" project and did it a bit better than his attempt. At first glance it looks as if the Honda drops right into the CZ frame but it isn't long before you realise that the drive sprocket is abour three inches higher than the swingarm pivot which causes two immediate problems. 1 chain tension is hard to maintain as the suspension raises and lowers and 2: the centre of gravity is way too high. The ideal is to have the countershaft parallel with the swingarm pivot. I cut the bottom rails out of the CZ frame and chocked the engine in exactly where it should be. I then fabricated a bottom frame section combining an XL250 bottom section with bits of XR500 frame I had laying around. There is a LOT of cutting and shutting involved but if you're handy with the oxy you'll sort it out. Once you've got the XL bottom rails in place you'll notice that the footpegs are in the wrong place. They'll then need to be relocated which isn't as easy as it sounds. You'll also have kickstarter clearance problems from memory. I was pretty happy with the result visually but never rode the bike. I sold it to Ray Atkins who's "gonna finish it one day". There's far more involved than this short description but too many years have past to remember. If I think of any more I'll let you know.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:46:52 pm »
Thanks for that Firko.
Dad's a boily by trade so the cutting and shutting would not faze him. Any other info will be welcomed. I suppose doing all the work to find out it handles like a dog is my biggest fear.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »
which one are you useing

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:33:35 pm »
Yellow tank which is '72 model. That is the one i got from Darwin. Seeing as its in the same era as my '74 400 it won't get ridden so dad came up with this idea. I will probably talk him out of it as it would be a shame to wreck a complete bike to do it. I might source a Maico frame such as whats on ebay at the moment.

Offline DG 26

• B-Grade
  • 250H 125D it490 looking for pre75bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »

Giday
090 there was a CZ 125 motor on evil bay throw that in it yer? ;D ;)