Author Topic: what transmission oil do you use  (Read 6457 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: what transmission oil do you use
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49:52 AM »
i consider atf an excellent fall-back. the properties of atf as i understand it are that it gives good bight on the clutch, is an extreme pressure lubricant and gives minimum drag.while i was in control of maintenance of all the marine craft on warragamba dam i noted that omc [johnson out boards] reccomended there own brand  lubricant for thier gearbox in the leg which had a reduction ratio and reverse gear and in the event of unavailable supply they recomended atf.they said the atf met the requirement for an extreme pressure lubricant.  i was supprised to hear the comment that it caused gear wear however it is historical that ep lubricants can cause etching of gears with an oxidising effect.i use atf in my rt1 but i believe that price is often a good guide to quality and i see the benefit in using a high performance dedicated lubricant.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
motul transoil expert is the winner for me works well all round i wouldnt let any car fluids near my bikes as i have know some of the friction modifiers in car oils can make havok of an engine  :(
MUGEN power

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
tried Silkolene light gear oil at $12 per litre coz I use Silkolene comp pro 2 sx pre mix and haven't had any problems to mention?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 02:49:48 PM »
as long as you use a bike specific gear oil you cant lose as noe days there all much the same and at the most the per litre price diff is arround $12-18
MUGEN power

lms6201

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »
i,ve tried a few in the bully clutches including mtx but have found rover lawn mower oil to be the best or black and gold motor oil ,anything without expensive additives , the cheaper the better , and atf is pretty good , and it goes into shocks and forks , atf is designed for a thing with wet plate clutches and gears and bearings , and for one of the other replys , before specalist 2 stroke oils , ordinary motor oil was used in the fuel mix

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 08:45:52 AM »
At least this is the 1st oil debate I've seen here( in the US boards it's all the time).
Personally, I have found that All Japanese bikes work fine with a decent non synthetic 10W40 in the trans-The Maicos and KTMs like Belray 75w80, and latley have mixed with a Dexron( non friction modifier ) ATF about 40%. At the cost of it, I change it every 2-3 races. For the Bultacos with separate chambers for Clutch and trans gears, I ran ATF in clutch and Belray 75w80 in trans. The trans oil lasted several races typically-the clutch oil was cheap ATF, so I changed it every race.
..one more good thing about Bultacos, I guess.

You should hear how pisssed people in the US get over this debate.  ;D ;D
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Yamaboy

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
It all comes down to whatever works for you. I've always used ATF in my Yamahas and Maicos but use 10-50 Fuchs engine oil in my BSA. I spoke to an oil engineer at a drag racing oriented engine technology seminar a few years ago and asked him if ATF was OK to use in my bike transmission and he surprised me by telling me that he actually ran ATF in his own dirt bike trannys  dsespite his company making a specific transmission oil. He gave a lengthy techo explanation which mostly went over my dumb head but I do recall him saying that as it was designed for auto clutch packs and gears it was ideal for wet clutch transmissions. He went on to say that there was a lot of bullshit spread around about using ATF in non auto transmission situations, mostly from companys trying to flog their own expensive transmission oils. I'll add that in forty years of racing and riding bikes, I've never blown a gearbox and have had almost no clutch problems.