Author Topic: Is This too Cheep?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Re: Is This too Cheep?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:12:59 pm »
Just needs your loving touch E74  ;)
If it runs or is close it is probably good buying as you say.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
In the current climate, I reckon its a good honest buy without being a spectacular bargain. (And by "current", I mean the way things have been in the last month or two, not the last year or so). The rampant hysteria of the last few years is over, and I suspect that we might even see that the enthusiasm of the few years before that was misguided.

Remember the age-old line about Ebay being the ultimate proof of what the market is will to bear - it works when everyone is saying "Shit, are people really willing to pay that much?!" and it works equally well when we're all standing around saying "Well bugger me! That's dirt cheap - if only I had the money myself!" (which is exactly the point).

Helped by the seller getting the year wrong, too.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:14:49 pm »
Sold for a bit more than it did with 10 minutes to go.

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:16:54 pm »
I also think that people are gaining the experience of restoration and the realisation of it's cost.
for instance I have a YZ125L that cost $1500, we thought we got a bargain, :-\ now it is almost finnished it owes us $6000, not much market out there for a $6000 25 year old 125 ? ???

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:19:24 pm »
that really is the issue you can spend a mint on a bike but at the end of the day its only worth what people are willing to pay
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:21:57 pm »
Yep,  If you are restoring them to sell 'em you are in the wrong game IMHO.
I'm restoring mine for the love of it - a man's got to have a hobby  ;)

Do you reckon there is a dirt bike you could buy at today's "reasonable" price, restore and still make money.  I will never do it of course, just something that came to mind.

I'll bet that $6000 125 looks shit hot E74 - any chance some photos ?

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:31 pm »
Do you reckon there is a dirt bike you could buy at today's "reasonable" price, restore and still make money.  I will never do it of course, just something that came to mind.

I might make a little on my recent bargain....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320305851541

Just bought a plastics kit, graphics kit with seat cover, and have replaced almost all of the rusty nuts and bolts for less than $300
it could easily be $2400-$2700 when sold  ;D
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:31:42 pm »
Nice work CG.  Hope you bought a go fast graphics kits that take off half a second a lap  ;)
Based on what I've seen you should get your money easily.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:39:51 pm by YZ250H »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 10:11:28 pm »
it could easily be $2400-$2700 when sold  ;D

In this part of the world at least, 125s have become like herpes in the last 12 months or so (easy to get, but hard to get rid of). The last couple of months have just made it ridiculous.
There is a supposedly good '04 YZ125 for $2500 locally.
Based on an aquantiance's experience with selling his 98 125, I think that very, very few of them are sold anywhere near the accepted market value. After a year of trying, and having virtually zero interest in it, he ended up swapping his YZ for an old Hilux that's worth about $1000...

I don't know for sure, but I think that older (98~02ish) 4-stroke MXers are in the same boat.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:27 pm »
W.A is a different story, bigger area with less population density, last modern I sold (89 KX250 bought for $500 with busted second gear)
 sold for $2600 in 1998 (after repairs done on the cheap $220 for second hand gearbox plus gaskets) The guy drove 16 hours from some remote farm community to pick it up. Current market trend is for teens now sick of gutless pit bikes (that are just toys anyway) buying second hand MX'ers. The local trading post (The Quokka) barely has any any MX bikes in it older than 5 years and they get sold REAL FAST too.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 11:32:53 pm »
Cool. I've just reread my previous post, and it sounds a bit negative, when I really didn't mean for it to.
In fact, these decent, dirt cheap bikes can only be a good thing. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford to own one of every YZ125 ever made. :D
That'd please the wife no end...