Author Topic: 16 again !!!  (Read 1768 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
16 again !!!
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:29:02 pm »

OK - I know my title says the other red bike but I have to confess a weakness for Hondas too as they were what got me into this mess way back in '71!

My first bike was a C90 steppy with knobby's etc for $50 all paid for by yours truly followed by a TS90 Honcho, a Yammy and finally the almighty little MXR - the unforgettable CR125M Green Tanker!

I worked my teenage arse off to buy that bike and even had it delivered in the crate so I would be the first one to touch it. The bike is LONG gone but somehow I couldn't bring myself to part with the owner’s manual that came with it, always having a hankering for the idea that I would eventually get another one.

At the last HEAVEN meet I was enthusiastically pointing out to G/F that these bikes always had a place in my heart (yeh, sounds soppy but I was talking to a woman, lol) and she suggested that I should get one to restore. I was impressed by her enthusiasm and support but told her they weren't that easy to find and I would have to stick with crumby old Maico's.

How life can change.

A couple of days back I walked into the local gun shop to sort out some firearm registrations and there in all it's bashed up glory was a very well worn out 74 CR125 sitting right there on the floor in the shop!

The guy said he would consider selling it so after some haggling we settled on $500 which I was pretty happy with so the little dunger is now living with me.

Today I had a really good look and was a bit shattered to find the left hand crank case was shattered as well! The frame has seen much better days too, with the left hand peg mount a right off and the rear loop almost snapped off.

If someone has a set of ‘74 cases and a decent ’74 frame I am happy to pay good money for them as I really want to make keeping that manual all these years worth it if you know what I mean.

I am going to start gathering as much together as possible and need as many leads as you guys can give me to get the parts to get things moving so here goes - this is going to be one good little bike  ;) !!!

Dave Mac  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: 16 again !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:46 pm »
Would MT125 cases work? I know of some . Cheers Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:26:38 am »

G'day Tim,

Thanks for the offer but I suspect the MT may be slightly different due to having a different ignition and also I really want this bike to be as close to original as possible but I think if any of the forum know if the MT cases work it could be of benefit to all. I can't even tell you what the engine prefixes are for the 74 as my case has the entire  section of case broken away that usually has then numbers.

Thanks

Dave
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 08:37:01 am »
I reckon 9 out of ten cases are like that. Mine included as well as two other bottom ends i had. I just liquid metaled it back into shape.
Then you could put a 00001 engine no. and tell some porky pies how it was first off the production line  ::)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:03:14 am »
The cases are easily repaired, but I think I have a good set spare, and I have a few frames, none perfect but may be better than yours.
Cheers,
K

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 12:47:33 pm »
Hi Tim, Brad and big K,

Sounds like the mighty CR's made a regular habit of snapping off the casting over the sprocket (and they wouldn't be the Lone Ranger!)

I've been surprised since I started looking on evil bay that there doesn't appear to be a lot of old Cr stuff around. I would have thought there would be heaps available given how many there were 'in the day' as our yank friends say ???

Anyway today is day one with the usual pre-resto photos and tear down happening for what I hope will hopefully be a quick resto as the CR's are such a simple honest bike.

I would appreciate any leads on good suppliers of spares so things can move smoothly - it's certainly a candidate for CD6 !!!

All good

Dave Mac

BULTACO M49 parts wanted