Author Topic: The Future of VMX Magazine  (Read 1628 times)

Tony T

The Future of VMX Magazine
« on: September 23, 2008, 07:42:25 pm »
First, I must state that this is NOT a negative comment. Probably, just the opposite.
I've noticed how VMX is becoming a much more global publication over the past year or so. And wondered whether it was a deliberate decision by the team to go that way. Far more stories from O.S. (Even noticed them calling mudguards "fenders" a couple of issues ago  ;) )
I'd also be interested to know how sales compare between Australia and the rest of the world. Don't need to know exact numbers, but I would be interested to know if the rest of the world is now a bigger market than us.
I absolutely consider VMX to be the 'bible' for vintage dirt biking worldwide, so it would be no surprise to find that the rest of the world agrees.
Just wondered whether it was something that Ken, Jeff and Ajay actively chased, or whether the rest of the world came to you.  ;D

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of VMX Magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:32:29 pm »
Hi Tony - you've got a keener eye than me if you reckon there's less Aussie content.  Good old Oz is still the magazine's biggest market.  As far as being more global, well, I don't think so, especially when I flip through all the back issues.  Feature bikes and events from around the globe in pretty much every issue as far as I can tell.

Issue 35 (which is held up at the bloody printers for another two days!) has four events from Oz (the Aussie Nationals from TAS, a motocross event from NSW, a vinduro from NSW and a vinduro from VIC.  There's also two events from the US and one from the UK.  There's a feature bike from Oz, two reader restos from Oz with a similar number from the US, Europe or the UK.

That was I guess the long answer - the short answer is no, it isn't becoming more global, it is just remaining global like it always has been.

As for mudguards/fenders.......if a story is written by a Yank it's likely to refer to fenders, if it's written by someone from anywhere else it's likely to refer to mudguards.

Regards

Ken

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:55:10 am »
Fair enough, Ken. Just an observation and something a few of were talking about a couple of weeks ago.
If the Australan market is still your biggest buyer, that must mean there is huge potential for growth overseas then.  ;D
P.S. the fender reference came in a product review which I assume you guys write.  ;)

YSS

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:19:04 pm »
You will be surprised how well spread the magazine is , and who reads it .
I know personally of two ex world champion that are keen to read ech issue.
I  even spotted a copie in the sportsbar in Pattaya the other day  :D

magoo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:16:50 pm »
To get a good concept of how widely read the fine mag is, just help package it. I've given the boys a hand to stick the rag in the envelopes a few times and the address's on the envelopes makes interesting reading:

R. DeCoster, M. Tripes, M. Smith, J. Robert, B. Lackey, M. Firkin etc, etc.  All the stars of the show

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:23:39 pm »
Probably none of my business, but I just hope the Mag is doing OK financialy?, from what I have heard,the feeling in the states is that they are always expecting that the next issue to be the last,... :-\
 I just hope that is not the case, and if it does run into trouble the guys call out for investors sooner than later so that it can survive.. :)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:27:45 pm »
Probably none of my business, but I just hope the Mag is doing OK financialy?, from what I have heard,the feeling in the states is that they are always expecting that the next issue to be the last,... :-\
 I just hope that is not the case, and if it does run into trouble the guys call out for investors sooner than later so that it can survive.. :)

We are certainly looking forward to our share of the US$700 billion bail out that the US government is about to provide.  ;D

Uh, the truth?  VMX is a viable small business and there is no likelyhood that the next issue is our last  :o  we are here to stay!  :)

However we will not be retiring to the Bahamas anytime soon either... :-\