Author Topic: Export from the US  (Read 1811 times)

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Export from the US
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:36:05 pm »
 G' day Guys,
                 I'm having problems bringing a YZ 125 in from Texas.  All clear at this end, import permit obtained etc but authorities in the ' States won't let the bike out without a Title.

I seem to remember this being discussed on the Forum some time ago.    Anyone got advice or experience of importing from the US using only a Bill of Sale ?         Cheers,      T250.

Re: Export from the US
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 12:46:03 pm »
The only way it can be done is to pull it to bits and ship as parts or with a lot of red tape you can apply for a title. First option is easier and i think the duty is less for parts.

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 01:38:39 pm »
I imported a bike about two years ago now and being a motorcross bike it hade no title but the guy I bought it off had to supply me with a recipt for proof of ownership and it all went through OK whether things have changed or not I don't know and by the way my bike came assembeld, I went through a shipping broker so maybe if you get in touch with someone who does importing on a regular basis the might be able to give you the good oil on what to do. You could try looking in just bikes as there is always someone advertising these type of services they should be able to help Cheers Lou

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:54:40 pm »
i think the laws now are if it has a vin no it must have a title.i get all mine pulled apart and sent in boxes as parts to get around the law.having a bit of problem as the influx of imported stuff has trippled and big back log with my shipper.
cheers

firko

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:45:23 pm »
Same thing from me. Ask your seller if he'd take the engine out and put it in a milk crate and remove the wheels and cable tie them to the frame. Then tie the lot onto a pallet. I've got away with just removing the engine in the past but they are getting a little stricter now and I'd strip it a little more.

Having said that, a notarized bill of sale (receipt signed by a JP in our language) should be acceptable as many race bikes don't have title. Whoever is shipping the bike out of the USA should be able to sort that out for you. A mate just bought a BSA Metisse out of California and the Yank authorities were happy with a notarized bill of sale.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:46:57 pm by firko »

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:32:17 pm »
  :) Thanks everybody for all the responses, much appreciated.     The Bike is ( supposed to be ) coming in through a shipping agent, and they've been doing a great job for weeks trying to find a way ' in ' but U.S. export authorities were insisting on a Title.   It's a full resto and is crated so I wanted to avoid uncrating and stripping if possible, hence my question.    Apparently applying for a title can be a pain in the arse also.

Bike has to come directly to Fremantle which limits my choice of agent, because if I don't do it that way the freight cost from Sydney to Perth is around $200 more than the total cost of freight from Texas to Fremantle.  Work that one out.

I've contacted the seller to request a notarised bill of sale, and asked the Shipping company to check for an OK with U.S. Export Regs., so cross everything for me please Guys.

Bottle of best Irish single malt is on standby.       Cheers,       T250.

kaw440

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:59:34 pm »
Hi T250K if you are interested i can help with your problem you can contact me on 0408650060 i am curently bringing in 2 containers of 500cc mx bikes pre 90 and 85

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:39:55 pm »
 Thanks KAW, will call you in the morning.