Author Topic: Business name Scam  (Read 1584 times)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Business name Scam
« on: February 18, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »
Just thought I'd let those that have business names registered that there is a bit of a scam going on. A company called "Registry Australia" have been sending out letters to business name holder that are close to being due for renewal with a type of invoice. Apparently they do renew your business name but they charge more than double what it is worth. The normal for 3 years is $88.00 but they charge $190.00 and apparently they claim to not be breaking the law to charge a few for being so helpful. I thought the was something a bit fishy but had already clicked the Bpay send and I'm trying to get it stopped. I rang the contact number and asked for the invoice to be cancelled which they claimed they would do but only after the payment has gone through. I also called my bank straight away to cancel the payment but I could be hit with a fee. I keep you posted.

PS. Don't catch Covid it's not much fun.

Offline Dungar Pilot

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Business name Scam
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 09:20:09 PM »
Hi George,

Like you I have a Business (NSW) and my registration is up for renewal.  However in my situation,  there are 3 different Business renewal invoices from 3 different companies sent to me with varying amounts up to $199 for three years. This confused me so I rang Fair Trading and they put me onto ASIC and it turns out that none of them are official so I am glad I did not pay any of them. The bizarre bit in my opinion is that no paper invoice is sent out as it is all online. Plus  ringing and paying over the phone is not an option any more. They tell me that they will email me an invoice (within 48 hours) that will have a reference number and then I can call them again and quote the number and then pay over the phone..... That was  a week ago and still no email, maybe next week. Hope it happens soon as I am holding my breath? :-[