Author Topic: YAMAHA XT500 wins SA Reliability Trial Series  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
YAMAHA XT500 wins SA Reliability Trial Series
« on: September 21, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »

Yes folks, on Saturday 20-09-08, after 6 rounds of hard fought competition, I clinched the 2008 South Australian Reliability Trial Series riding a 1976 Yamaha XT 500C.

Well, all right, I am leaving a bit out in the above statement. I should have said, “On Saturday 20-09-08, after 6 rounds of hard fought competition, I won Class “M” (for bike over 20 years old) in the 2008 South Australian Reliability Trial Series riding a 1976 Yamaha XT 500C”.

But, even that is not telling the real truth, and that is making me sound like a lawyer or politician.

So here is the truth, as I know it.

Round 1, the Phil Haydon 6hr Trial.
3 entries in Class M, I came 1st (89th overall or 4th last), Kym 2nd and John DNF’d.

Round 2, the Mike Connor 8hr Trial.
5 entries in Cass M. Shane came 1st, Andrew/Chris 2nd, I came 3rd (100th overall or 4th last again), John and Mark/Daniel DNF’d.

Round 3, the Rodertstown 2 day Trial.
No entries in Class M. We all though it was just too much effort.

Round 4, the YAMAHA 24hr Trial.
 2 entries. Andrew/Chris DNF’d as did I. However, they retire on lap 1 and I made it to the end of lap 2 (12 ½ hr) so I had the moral victory even if I didn’t gain any points.

Round 5, the Theo Nixon 6HR Trial.
2 entries in Class M. Andrew/Chris 1st, me 2nd (88th overall or dead last)

Round 6, the River Murray 6Hr Trial.
2 Entries in Class M. I came 1st (overall results not out yet) after Andrew/Chris retire when Andrew twisted his knee in the 4th special stage on lap 1 giving me the class win if I finished, which I did after riding the 2nd lap of 114km slowly as a victory lap! I feel a bit guilty about Andrew’s injury, because as they left Control 7 to start the 4th special stage, I yelled out too them that I hoped they crashed, and unfortunately they did had an accident with Andrew catching his foot an a tree root and twisting his knee.

The "Thank God that over, now take the photo before I fall over" photo.

So the final points at the end of the 6 rounds were;
Me 92 points
Andrew/Chris 47 points
Shane 25 points
Kym 22 points
John 0 points
Mark/Daniel 0 points.

Note; where two people are named it means that they were riding a sidecar. And as strange as it sounds, in Class M solos and sidecars compete directly against one another.

So there are the true results, judge me how you see fit.

It goes to show that even a nearly 50 year old, over-weight unfit guy on a DVA pension for knackered knees can still win a State Championship.  All as you have to do is pick the right class to compete in and finish more events than the opposition.

The old XT has finished the series in better condition than I have. Damage done to her included; a broken front mudguard, a flat front tyre (repaired during the 24hr), the exhaust system crushed and rebuilt 3 time, bent handlebars, and a broken rear blinker. The engine sounds like a coffee can half full of bolts being shaken vigorously, but it sounded like that before the start of the series, so nothing has change there.

Me, well as I sit here, my knees are killing me, and just about ever muscle in my arms, legs, shoulders, chest and back are aching, but I will get over that in a by next weekend (I hope), as I have entered the SA Moto Trials championship, which is on then, and will be riding my 1978 BULTACO 350 Sherpa T in the Post Classic class.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: YAMAHA XT500 wins SA Reliability Trial Series
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:59:46 PM »
Good on you Col!

Great to see a fellow XT owner getting it dirty, I wish I could find the riding time.

Brent

The older I get, the faster I was

Rosco400

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:03:34 PM »
Well done Col, sounds like a good time was had and you clinched the title, doesnt get any better than that. (when you tell the story at the pub though, remember there was 100 plus riders you competed against to clinch the title, leave out the class "M" bit) :D Youve always gotta talk it up ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »
Fantastic News.  ;D
You even bet the teams of two.
Champion  :)
Enjoy that trophy  8)
Best is in the West !!