Author Topic: Installing shift plate & top cover  (Read 3864 times)

Offline ralph311

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Installing shift plate & top cover
« on: September 11, 2018, 07:56:05 pm »
Help!

I'm trying to install new shift forks in a '72 5 speed 250. The engine is in the frame and I have the top cover off.

When I assemble it, it won't shift gears, I get only one or two.

Not knowing CZ's from my arse it seems like I'm having a problem synchonising the shift ratchet with the position of the shift plate.

Can anyone give me some tips on positioning the shift plate and what the go is with the shift ratchet?

Ta.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Installing shift plate & top cover
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:20:09 pm »
PM   Tony27 he is CZ man
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 11:14:40 am »
Is this the type with the shift plate in the cases or attached to the top cover?
I've never had problems with not getting gears but you do need to have the gearbox rotating if you're trying to get the gears while on the bench. It would be obvious if you the forks assembled wrong.
If you send me a photo of how things are sitting I should be able to see if there is anything that jumps out at me
I can take a photo of my sidepipe box with the cover removed if you want, only 4 speed but basically the same as the earlier 5 speeds that have the shift plate in the cases

Offline ralph311

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:39:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Turns out the two shift forks in a 5 speed that look the same..... aren't. Swapped their positions and all is good.

Cheers

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 05:31:48 pm »
You'll be glad CZ did their gear change how they did & you didn't need to split the cases to find the problem. I thought it would be a fairly easy fix