Author Topic: More help sourcing stuff from the US  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
More help sourcing stuff from the US
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:04:14 pm »
Got this email the other day from Marc in the US. He has a great website for RM250Zs, but he's also offering assistance with sourcing parts and bikes out of the States.

"Inspired by the US shipping helper article on your home page, I just wanted to say I’ve sold a lot of parts including whole bikes to Australia, Canada and the UK. Many through ebay (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmshade2000) but a lot of stuff directly. I have options for shipping packages larger than 70 lbs. It’s obviously a bit more but I’ve done it successfully quite a few times now.

I have a site here that will be of interest to all the AU Suzuki fans: http://www.youngerdryas.com/1982_suzuki_rm250

I make my own reproduction decals and hard-to-find parts for the Evo Suzi’s. I’m working diligently on all the 81-83 model graphics and hope to be able to supply full set for all models soon! I also make custom number plate decals to order and offer a great 2 for 1 deal on those. Marc Shade"

mshade2000

I got an email asking about VVI or Verification of Vehicle Identification for importing bikes from the United States to Australia. The issue is that most dirt bikes in the US don't have titles and you need one to get the VVI. Believe me, this is not because the bikes were not sold with a title. Owners misplace them and because you don't register and insure them they often don't go with the bikes to the next owner. Keep your eyes peeled and you will see an occasional vintage dirt bike being sold with a title, or pink slip as they used be called. These bikes are typically being sold by the original owner and are very well cared for, and expensive.

So, what can you do to get a US title on that bike so you can get the VVI for import? You will need to have the seller apply for a title in his name using a Bill of Sale from the owner before him. This will most likely be hard to get the seller to do. Most sellers don't even like to help with shipping, let alone chasing paperwork. The best advice I can give is to discuss the paper-chase with the seller before you bid or buy the bike. It can be done, I just sold a 1982 Suzuki RS175 with a title, not to AU, but hey, coulda been!

Thanks,
Marc Shade
http://www.youngerdryas.com/1982_suzuki_rm250/

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: More help sourcing stuff from the US
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:28:08 am »
or get the seller to dismantle the bike and ship it across on a pallet as "motorcycle parts". No title needed.

Doc

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:52:18 am »
I spotted an idea the other day for importing bikes. These guys had bought a couple of deadcats and wanted to ship them here. So in their wisdom they also purchased a little suzuki alto 4wd turbo van. They loaded the bikes into the van and shipped the whole lot as one, when it got here they sold the car and recouped some funds. This model van was never imported here and onsold for a good price ;)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:28 am »
Doc,

I know someone here in California who will purchase a number of vintage trials bikes and a used van.  They stuff the van with bikes and ship it to Europe.  They fly there and drive the van around delivering the bikes to the purchasers, then sell the van and fly back when their "vacation" is over.  It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" deals.
 ;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

firko

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:20:52 am »
I know it depends on your seller but the best way of avoiding the Pink Slip/title situation on the US side and having to obtain an Import Licence on this end is, like Evo550 says, is to ask the seller to partially dismantle the bike and ship it as "used parts".  I've bought in five bikes using this method and have numbers six and seven on the water, both in parts.
Of course this doesn't suit everybodies needs but it does offer a cheaper alternative without all of the paperwork. It's so easy, I'm surprised more people don't bring bikes in from the US. If you are selective with what you buy, serious money can be saved.

My "dismantled" B&S Suzuki with it's engine in a milk crate, ready for it's journey to Australia       

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:33:32 am by firko »

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:31:09 pm »
Hi firko
I tried that particular trick when i brought my 73 Honda into South Africa, it worked well in getting the bike out of the USA without a pink slip. However I battled to get it finally into South Afric a from our import control, ''WE WILL SCREW UP YOUR DAY -SOUTH AFRICAN CUSTOMS". It was a nightmare, sounds like your customs are more sympathetic
Old and slow - and happy

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 05:24:39 pm »
When I shipped my bike from NZ to Oz the cost as a complete bike was quite a bit more plus dangerous goods tacked on as well but because I stripped it down and send it as parts the cost was cheaper and no dangerous goods payment was needed.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:31 pm »
This 'minimal' stripping it down idea is too good to last (engine in a milk crate? too easy Firko).
When it becomes common place the powers that be will wise up and...well, you know.
Tax it, insist every gear, nut and bolt is separated etc.
The moral of the story? Get in quick before they notice. ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:51:06 pm by Wombat »
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:04:40 pm »
It's actually happening right now Wombat. I spoke to my shipper today and he told me that the US authorities are cracking down on bikes leaving the US without proper title or a notarized bill of sale. I had to organize a notorized (signed by a JP) reciept to be sent from the seller to the shipper. I normally have the wheels and forks removed as well but I figured we'd try this method just this once. My Metisse is in the same shipment and is a bare frame, forks and bodywork, all seperated and strapped to the same Triumph shipping pallet as the Suzuki to save a bit of dough. I also have four Yamaha pipes strapped on that pallet.
Peter my shipper told me he has at least 40 classic dirt bikes at the Long Beach terminal, ready to load for Australia. Apparently there is some pretty exotic stuff in the shipment including a couple of 750 Harley flat trackers.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:13:56 am »
my shipper diferent to firkos in long beach specializes in cars he knows how to get aroung usa bs and dose a good job for me.i have 3 on the way now.all in parts packed in boxes.australian end is now charging gst on the value of purched goods.they stung me for 300.00 extra last time.
cheers
jim