Author Topic: '88 400WRLC intro  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
'88 400WRLC intro
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:36:50 am »
Hi all, around 3 months ago I acquired a 1988 400WR in non running condition. The previous owner (personal friend) provided receipts for $2000 in engine work so I wasn't too concerned, and a look up the exhaust port did show a brand new piston, so the task began.
I think the only reason I ended up with it was because he was concerned that he may have needed to split the cases to rectify a gear shifting issue, despite my offers to do it for him.

Well that turned out to be a very simple fix, once the clutch cover came off, I noticed the return spring had been dislodged, easy.
What that also uncovered was the damage to the clutch basket, there is another topic here (http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=38686.msg373315#msg373315) about that so no need to repeat myself.

It took almost two months to find the clutch basket and it's now installed.

So the next step was having a good hard look at the bike to see what other surprises were in store.

I already knew the Ohlins shock needed a rebuild, so in to Suspension Smith in Canberra on Thursday morning, picked it up on Friday arvo, $220 including a new bump rubber, very reasonable I thought.

First up was the front brakes, not working at all, Magura master cylinder with Brembo caliper, after searching the interwebs I could find no conclusive info regarding a m/cyl kit or even a decent s/h m/cyl, then when removing the caliper, I found that the lower caliper bolt/pin is stripped.
After an hour or so with some aluminium plate on my mill, I'd made a caliper adapter and fitted a DRZ400 front wheel, axle and brakes until I can sort out the m/cyl and thread in the fork lower, are they magnesium?

The original exhaust was a bit beat up, so I bought a s/h "Uptite Racing" expansion chamber from Fleabay USA, which I'm told is the hot ticket for these engines.
It needs some "massaging" too, but I don't think it will need too much to have it looking like it belongs.

The PO had already done a fair bit of work, frame painted, seat rec0vered, two new tyres, new handlebars and levers (not Magura) so the list was noowhere near as long as it could have been.

After checking that my SEM ignition actually still produced a spark, a new plug, remove the treacle from the fuel tank, checked ignition timing, cleaned the gum out of the carb, two hearty kicks had it running like a champion, it even idles which surprised me.

Being dark I wasn't able to give it test ride, so I will wait until I do before I make any rash predictions!

I will be ordering some plastics and decal set for it and it should look great.

My plan with this bike is to use it in next years Vinduro events run by VTR, so I now have the summer to fettle the old girl and make sure it's as reliable as it can be.
Having previously owned an '86 400WR, my expectations are realistic, other than the rose coloured glasses when remembering my old bike. It really was a great bike though, great engine, great suspension, mediocre front disc brake, steered well and never let me down, not once.

Fingers crossed, hopefully is gets easier from here.....

Day one, just unloaded.

It was a bit dusty, but lots had been spent already, pitson, rings, conrod, mains, gearbox bearings, aluminium clutch cover instead of the old magnesium one.

Old clutch basket, damaged all the way around the ring gear.

Secondhand clutch in very good condition.

Caliper conversion, still needs a tidy up but it works, probably even a fair bit better than the original!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: '88 400WRLC intro
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:40:11 pm »
its tidy allright...

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:14:17 pm »
HVA Factory have build kits for the brakes have a look on there web site

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:51:31 pm »
Thanks JC!

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:52:31 pm »
HVA Factory have build kits for the brakes have a look on there web site

Thanks odd1, I'll check it out.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:57:43 pm »
I remember racing this model in cross country and enduro , less than my fav bike , The 400 motor was the business but the rest of the bike fell apart around it. Broken disk rotors and broken wheels were common, seem to blow seals and oil every where , engine mounts flogged out and failed.
Nothing our better knowledge and new tech cant fix these days.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:31:35 pm »
"slakewell the flogger"...Armageddon!

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 09:03:01 am »
Well I've now ridden this bike in three Vinduro events and I'm pleased to say that apart from some minor fettling, this is an awesome bike!

It's so good, I've decided to build a '88 250WR as well.

This is by far the best two stroke engine I've ever used, it has usable power from stupid low revs and then comes on the pipe as the revs build, without being intimidating.

Happily I have had no breakages yet, but it's not like it's being ridden hard either.

This body of mine seems to have discovered a healthy dose of self preservation over the years! Maybe I just need to relax a bit more and let it do it's thing? More time needed on these Swedes.
Intro for the 250 soon.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 10:14:48 am »
I just rode the pan pac masters games on my twin shock 400. 3 hr Vinduro am and 4 hr moden enduro pm both sat and sundays. team of three but we totalled 7+ hrs of riding. bike was lovely. im so tuned to the old bikes. I did a lap on the mates wr450 yammie and it cost us gold I rekon!

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 09:10:14 am »
Lower legs are cast alloy. The caliper/master cylinder is popular across a number of euro manufacturers from that era. KTM,ATK and Maico as well as Husky comes to mind. If you have made up a bracket to fit Nissin units might be easier to find and fit an era specific Nissin system.....easier, quicker and better performance. Love the look of the black Swede's...