Author Topic: parts tumbler  (Read 3467 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
parts tumbler
« on: August 16, 2016, 12:06:06 am »

Anyone using a polishing type tumbler to clean small parts, bolts, nuts etc to prepare them for zinc coating.  Cleaning them with a wire wheel etc is fiddly and takes time.  Apparently with the correct media they do a brilliant job.  Getting the threads and inside nuts clean and rust free is the secret to getting a good plating job done.
  I have started to build one, so if no one has tried them I will just have to see how they work.  I will post an update and photo after I get it done.
                             Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: parts tumbler
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:41:27 am »
I used to "tumble" my used bullet cases prior to reloading. I used crushed walnut shell on the brass cases.
The tumbler was home made. An electric motor turning two parallel rods onto which I'd lay a plastic container which would then rotate.
I recently threw it out.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:50:29 am »
the mining industry assay labs use big bottle rollers to do 3Kg cyanide blegs 10 at a time a small one of those would be ideal. search bottle roller.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:38:04 am »

Anyone using a polishing type tumbler to clean small parts, bolts, nuts etc to prepare them for zinc coating.  Cleaning them with a wire wheel etc is fiddly and takes time.  Apparently with the correct media they do a brilliant job.  Getting the threads and inside nuts clean and rust free is the secret to getting a good plating job done.

You're not using a bead blaster ?
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 05:14:38 pm »
I tried that with an old simple gemstone tumbler many years back. Used Apricot kernals as the medium. Some parts fine, others a loss. Not really practicable . Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:53:37 pm »
I have heard of old tyres used as the tumbler with profiled and oxy cut plate steel, could use a wide quad bike tyre for small parts, unsure of what media to use.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:03:55 pm »

Hi Geoff
   Yes I do use my bead blaster but when I am cleaning bolts and nuts and small parts ready for zinc plating the blaster is ok but won't get them clean and with that polished look that makes the plating look like new.  Apparently tumbling the parts using stainless steel pins gives good results and the parts come out spotless and polished.  Anyway I will know soon enough, I'm about half way finished making one.  Fingers crossed.
                                   Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:39:31 pm »
I think I need a step by step before the outcome.