Author Topic: Plastic fuel tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 13879 times)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic fuel tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 05:38:49 pm »
after you have gotten rid of the paint off your tank...soak your tank in white king bleach overnite..next morning it will be like brand new...trust me i done this to my yz250g tank...well near brand new... ;)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 06:19:15 pm »
What concentration Andrew ???  I imagine there would be a point where you've put too much in ??
I assume you bleach before you sand etc etc ??

Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Quicksilver

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 07:44:29 pm »
That also work another coloured tanks? With colour loss? Bleach on white I cant see any problems but what about red pastic.

ianscr250

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 12:23:54 am »
hi guys now getting back to stripping tanks of unwanted paint  rossco get a sharp blade gently score the paint in a cris cross fashion then hit it with that water blaste ryou have up home if not give me a yell ill pop up and do the strip an clean for u

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 09:01:45 pm »
paint stripper should be ok on most tanks/guards but be carsfull on some plastics. eg its no good to use it on LH side 74 XL 350 sidecovers made from that clear/yellow gell type plastic . it will make it go all soft. its ok on the grey XL fenders which are a  different plastic.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 08:19:15 am »
Now getting back to bleaching tanks, what ratio bleach do yuo use and does uit not make the plastic brittle?? my KTM "white" tanks is a crappy shade of dirty creamy brown... I am loathe however to put it in something only to find the next morning its brittle or something.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 10:53:37 am »
What's the go with Laying up bikes with fibergalss tanks ?  Would you think its best to leave them dry so they dont go soggy and weep, or best to leave them fuelled up so they dont dry out and crack ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 11:04:58 am »
A 2 litre bottle of bleach + whatever amount of water it takes to fully submerge the tank. Most tanks are made from polypropylene (I think thats the stuff) which is like the plastic bottles the bleach comes in.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 05:44:50 pm »
make sure you use white king and just read the directions on the back of the bottle...use the strong stuff too... ;)

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 08:51:08 am »
my tank has a thin layer of dry brittle crusty plastic on it ( as does the mudguards) which I will obviously need to sand off, bu do I take this  layer off first? and give it a light sand down or just stick the lot in the bleach as is?
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '