Author Topic: 1966 BBC Grandstand TV Scrambles  (Read 4071 times)

firko

1966 BBC Grandstand TV Scrambles
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:56:43 am »
When you consider that this was 42 years ago we haven't come a long way as far as TV coverage have we? Grandstand was on every weekend during the winter GP off season so the best riders could appear. How good was Murray Walker as a commentator? The best ever in my humble opinion.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jhuZk5q0qCs

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 BBC Grandstand TV Scrambles
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:21:03 am »
Ummm fIRko.......... i think that answer that other forum question of are we getting faster ?

i dont think so, i have never seen current pre 75ers go that fast off the start , even up a hill, and definately not any greeves coming that fast down it.

those boys where on it.............  the gas that is, and maybe also the edge.  8 laps is a lonnnnng way i think some of our guys would be out of steam in 5, im roooted in 2    :O)
and i hate to agree with you  Firko but that is awesome coverage, good old auntie has got it right, good angle, plenty of Camera points, excelant traking, that is one excellant Outside broadcast, aslo considering how much gear they would have halled in back in the day, i keep waiting for a bike cam shot  Bloody good camera work, no wonder it was so popular in its day! ;D

And how GOOD was the Finish ! :o
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:45:23 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:53:13 am »
that was great

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 12:03:58 pm »
Ummm fIRko.......... i think that answer that other forum question of are we getting faster ?
8 laps is a lonnnnng way i think some of our guys would be out of steam in 5, im roooted in 2    :O)

8 laps watchem do that now, :o even on modern  :o
and the sidecars where run first, just to make the track that bit harder  ;D  :D  :-*
great footage,thank you mr firko
Best is in the West !!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »
...i have never seen current pre 75ers go that fast off the start...

Yeah I dunno Freaky, I watch these Cavell brothers at the local Qld races and they really hammer at full noise.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:08:33 pm »
YEs, know tony well, infact he flew past me on the 250 Beeza in tassie, and i mean flew, plus i had his dad BErt, staying with me over there and he kept reminding me how good the english bikes are :O)     ( not the boys sorry tony )

But i still think the magority of us arent that quick on that old stuff ( the Cavell Boys are in a league of there own).  Remember were Talking PRe 68 Machinery NOT pre 75

I would say that tonys not that quick off the line either, but id be interested in him chimming in here with an opinion ? tony C where are you son ...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:33:21 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mainline

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 06:23:42 pm »
jeez there was some big names in there, and they looked pretty bloody quick to me.

and not a Leatt brace in sight ;D

mainline

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »
just watched the finish again for about the tenth time!!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 07:25:23 pm »
geez that was a good run by second to make up all that ground he lost.
he must have been out to 10sec on the 4 lap.  I still cant get over how well this is shot.

and talk about banging bars on those final corners and a T bone for god measure, nasty  :o
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:32:24 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

TooFastTim

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:19:08 pm »

i dont think so, i have never seen current pre 75ers go that fast off the start , even up a hill, and definately not any greeves coming that fast down it.

You can't even compare. Those guys were at the top of their game, the Coppins'/Reeds of their time. Even guys like Hudson & Noyce had lost their edge by the time they started riding VMX.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:22:01 pm »
Murray Walker said in his autobiography whilst writing about this very programme, that to this day, motocross is still the most exciting form of motorsport.  He enjoys watching it more than anything else.