Author Topic: Clutch problem  (Read 2528 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Clutch problem
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:44:44 am »
Hello all,
My 390 has a minor clutch issue which has not caused too much stress but is a tad annoying. The clutch sees to have a 1-2 second delay before it disengages properly and drives. You don't notice it much on a fast flowing track and can keep your corner speed up, but I really noticed it at the Vinduro on the weekend, especially in the tighter going and the creek exit where you needed the instant punch or had to ride the clutch. I have checked that everything is free and not binding, and have been using Belray 75 (light), and have even tried ATF with no difference. The clutch pack itself while not new, is well within specifications. Someone said it was not getting the oil away quick enough. Any ideas or has anyone had a similar problem?
Cheers,
K

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:59:06 am »
It hasn't worn grooves on the fingers of the basket where the tags on the clutch plates touch ? Some of my clutch baskets look like this & I was thinking of getting them built up & filed back square again .

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:33:47 pm »
No the basket is fine, and the clutch works smoothly although just has the slight annoying lag. I'd almost say the cable was sticking or binding if I didn't know it wasn't.
Cheers,
M.H

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:16:03 pm »
Try polishing/ buffing smooth the basket edges K, noticed my old Barnett clutch basket was done so on the 750, so I did same to a slighty worn stock Honda one that was doing precisely what you have put forward. Worked a treat. Which ATF did you try?  Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:50:56 pm »
I'll give it a try Tim, it can't hurt & I might be lucky as you were. I had some generic ATF lying around but can't remember exactly what. I don't really think it's the oil though as I've used Belray light for years and never had any type of problem before.
Cheers,
K

Doc

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:05 pm »
the oil not getting away theory does hold some merit. The driven plate grooves aren't gummed up or anything? Depth of grooves? Maybe try another oil to eliminate that from the equation. Swap the cable. Not being familiar with Huskys I'm not sure what setup they have be it a pinion type or pushrod type but seems odd anything would cause a mechanical type binding. I asume when stationary if you pull in the clutch and release it snaps back quickly as per normal? Kinda leads me to think the first thing I'd do is change the oil first. Have had a similar thing on a jap bike once but that was due to extremely low oil level...oops  :-[

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:23:59 pm »
FWIW i was reading in an old Huskymag  newsletter and it was something about the rubber dampening plugs in the clutch basket. after a few years it seems the oil made them go to jelly and bits were slipping into the plates causing them to stick. Am unsure if the 390 runs that system but if so its worth looking into