Author Topic: Someone to make up a aluminium washer  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Xedent

• Novice
    • View Profile
Someone to make up a aluminium washer
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:16:40 pm »
Hey guys,

I have recently restored a 82 Suzuki ts185 ER.

When it was previously owned it was at some stage put on its side which bent the gear leaver shaft, which when continued being ridden has slowly eaten away at the aluminium guide in the side casing, so even after i have replaced the gear lever seal twice because the gear lever shaft can move around a bit it continues to leak a small amount of gearbox oil.

I am hoping someone here can make me up on a lathe or point me in the direction of someone who can make up a washer the same size of the seal that I can insert before it to keep the gear leaver center, rather then splitting the cases and replacing that half.

the oil seal size is 12mm X 22mm so would need to be the same size around 3-4mm thick.

Let me know

Thank Clayton

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Someone to make up a aluminium washer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:10 pm »
any machine shop should be able to make that as not much involved to do the job

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:16:36 am »
if your in Melbourne south east try this  place. good work done here

https://www.facebook.com/RKEngine/
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:33:33 am »
I suspect you will never get it right without splitting the cases and either getting them welded up or machined out and a bush made to suit.  A lot depends on how much material is around it.

There are some got expoxy products around to that might do the job.  Devcon is a brand that comes to mind.  Either way I can't see it being fixed properly without splitting the cases.

MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:33:32 pm »
There are some got expoxy products around to that might do the job.  Devcon is a brand that comes to mind.  Either way I can't see it being fixed properly without splitting the cases.

Devcon would be perfect, particularly in a low load area such as that.

However if you still want to go down the washer route I'd be happy to make one for you but it couldn't be for a couple of weeks as I am working O/S.

Your call,

Pete.

Offline Xedent

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:13:47 pm »
Thanks everyone, here is a picture of a spare case to show where I will be pushing the washer into first before the seal.

I have been in contact with a  guy willing to make me a couple!

Thanks alot everyone!

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:39:59 pm »
Maybe a brass washer would last longer?
Probably you could also machine up an aluminium plug that fills all the available space and is a snug press fit, turn a groove on the inside for an 'O'ring and use the 'O'ring as the seal, use a good oil proof sealant to fix the plug in place.
Suitable plastic might even be better, if you got the fit just right it might do the sealing as well as the load bearing.
The plug will have a lot more bearing surface than a washer.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20:10 pm »
how about this? split the casese, drill it out to let say 14-15mm, get a suitable sleeve made with 1mm thick flange, press it in, you can just slip fit it in using loctite bearing retaining glue if you can not get it made to tight fit, check everithing before puting it back together, replace bearings if necessary,fit new seals and gaskets and there you go. now you have a motor that works as it should. why are you soo unwilling to split the cases? it isnt that hard.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:30:55 am »
You can get 12x14mm bushes from simplybearings.co.uk
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 11:41:11 am »
The hole the gear shaft runs in will not be worn round or true to the seal.  So any bush you may get made up will also most likely not be true.

You need to split the cases and get it set up on a mill and milled out true to the hole the seal sits in. Then have a bush (not washer) made to suit.

But of course if you have spare cases just use them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:44:38 am by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 08:06:47 pm »
Bush mechanic, find some alloy handle bars. They are 22mm O.D & if your lucky the I.D should be close. Just as a tempery fix. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go