Author Topic: 1989 CR250 RK - Rebuilt motor, $3800 ono  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Krikey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
1989 CR250 RK - Rebuilt motor, $3800 ono
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:41:28 pm »
1989 CR250 RK. This bike has undergone a sympathetic restoration and has a fully rebuilt motor.  The rebuild included a new con rod, rebore and new piston, new bearings, seals and gaskets.  It also has a brand new Clutch side cover and water pump so it does not have the dreaded CR magnesium corrosion. 

It is in great condition. It starts easily and will need to be run in.  Has a new clutch cable as well as a new air filter.  All gears work well and all splines are in excellent condition. 

The frame is in great condition with no rust and very minimal markings to the lower frame tubes.  The plastics are in good condition however it could benefit from some new plastics and a sticker kit to dress it up. 

The original wheels are in excellent condition, the brakes work well (although the front does drag a little from lack of use), the forks are perfect and have the original protective plastic gaiters but the rear shock needs a rebuild as it’s bouncy.  The stock pipe is in good condition and the rear muffler has been repacked so it is quiet. 

A great pre 90 bike priced to sell at $3800 ono.

Located North Brisbane

PM me for pictures

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1989 CR250 RK - Rebuilt motor, $3800 ono
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »
"The forks are perfect and have the original protective plastic gaiters"

Upside down forks? I thought '89 were the first year. Dreadful stock by all reports.

Offline Krikey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:49:40 pm »
"The forks are perfect and have the original protective plastic gaiters"

Upside down forks? I thought '89 were the first year. Dreadful stock by all reports.

Yes they are the original USD forks.

Having ridden pre 75 and evo bikes for many years I can tell you I love these forks. Sure, they're not up to modern, factory or works specs and if you are riding at that level then you might want to get Andy at ATR to do them up for you like Bell and Deeks do.  But for most of us "has beens that never were' I reckon they work fine  :) :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:33:19 pm by Krikey »

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:42:31 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean anything bad at all.
I was looking at your bike with interest. It would seem to be a really good pre 90 bike. Something I've been considering.
I did the usual "Google research" hence my (ignorant) comment re the fork review back in the day. Less relevant, by far, than your comments. (Based on riding it!)

What I meant to write was: "by 'plastic "gaiters" ' you are referring to the guards on the upside down forks?"  :)

I was just slightly confused, associating "gaiters" with the ribbed/concertina things covering the top chrome inners on RWU forks.

Genuinely sorry for coming across like a tool - easy to do, especially for me. :-[

Apart from the fork action (as discussed, and easily modified, if required) that model receives universal praise.

Offline Krikey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 05:57:28 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean anything bad at all.
I was looking at your bike with interest. It would seem to be a really good pre 90 bike. Something I've been considering.
I did the usual "Google research" hence my (ignorant) comment re the fork review back in the day. Less relevant, by far, than your comments. (Based on riding it!)

What I meant to write was: "by 'plastic "gaiters" ' you are referring to the guards on the upside down forks?"  :)

I was just slightly confused, associating "gaiters" with the ribbed/concertina things covering the top chrome inners on RWU forks.

Genuinely sorry for coming across like a tool - easy to do, especially for me. :-[

Apart from the fork action (as discussed, and easily modified, if required) that model receives universal praise.

All good mate I probably did read it a bit wrong.  The gaiters I refer to are the original hard plastic gaiters that protect the lower USD fork tubes.  I might amend the wording a bit.

Yes the forks were not universally liked back in the day. Some gun riders preferred the 88 cartridge fork and some even ran them (the ones not contracted to Honda I guess :) ).  I believe that it's generally thought the USD forks didn't get any good until they went to 48mm sliders as the skinnier ones flexed too much and created "sticktion" (spelling??).  They are still a nice handling bike in my humble opinion.

With modern suspension trickery, these forks can be made to work quite well.