Author Topic: Yz cdi  (Read 2965 times)

Offline scott

• Novice
    • View Profile
Yz cdi
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:20:51 pm »
Can anyone loan me a CDI for a yz 125 g ( 1980 )

I have rebuilt the engine , rewound stator coils an fitted a new CDI , however the bike is suffering from a flat power , I feel after hours of checking that my new CDI may be faulty .
Can anyone help me out . I'm in Wollonngong  .
Thanks in advance Scott .

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Yz cdi
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:03:39 am »
What is the code on the unit?
K

Offline scott

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 12:33:08 pm »
Hitachi. 3R3-10

TIAO1-34.      9111355

Hope that helps !

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
Scott, i have a 3r3-11  TIA01
I think the slight difference in numbers means my one has the power band! LOL
I purchased it for my YZ125 as a backup unit
Where are you at?
Im in sydney
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:33:01 pm by oldyzman »
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:19:16 am »
Never been  tuning fork fan & am told the CDI & stator must match or they won't run properly. I'll have a look at the numbers on the one I have & get back to you.
Cheers,
K

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:46 am »
ignore this if i'm off the planet [old age] but at work back in the day we had a G or an H [RH side mag] & had only one of the two coils rewound. think one is cdi charge & other is high speed incorporating trigger. Anyhoo--ran like crap but more importantly i think it was retarding off severely. The rewinder guy said reverse the wires on 'that' coil which fixed it. Talking a lifetime ago but some of this might be relevant. One other thing & might've been my F--they had a looped black wire coming just out of the box then back in which we were told to snip & isolate to let it advance more, [might be relevant to the G as well]. Best way for you to prove any of the above is to put a couple of twink marks close to TDC on rotor & stator--not necessarily accurate but just witness marks to get a baring [spelling] & then strobe to see what it's doing in relation to advance/retard. Just thinking about it--if you put the marks right at TDC as you feel it rocking over the top, or nail down plug hole trick, then strobe to see if it's a reasonable distance advanced & how close to tdc it retards off at high revs. Woffling sorry. Have a good day. Had mine on Alky [methanol] was 'purple shell racing special' back in 1980 & was a rocket, then i got a 465G & my arms are still stretched lol.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:46 am »
forgot to add [& i'm sure you know sorry] just remember your on the right side looking at adv/ret on the strobe.

Offline scott

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 08:31:05 pm »
Thanks for the feedback boys , oldyzman I will pm you ! However I think big k may be right regarding correct numbers . Overthehill I will see what comes from your info , but still looking for those yz 125 g boys to check if my CDI is faulty .

Cheers scott