Author Topic: tyre pressure  (Read 5996 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: tyre pressure
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 08:53:16 pm »
Yes. I find that its far more durable, and makes the rim-lock(s) easier to deal with.

If you use electrical tape, make sure you use good quality stuff (most of the cheap tape isn't very sticky. I like the Nitto brand), and wrap it around the rim at least three times.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 09:47:46 pm »
I was always told as a child (from a champion)  10&12.  Depends on your body weight of course,  If the the track is dry and hard,  increase by 1-2,  if you are on adventure trail,  then you can afford to go 1PSI more.  Tyres are tyres,  in the heat,  they are soft,  in winter they aren't going to budge much  for the lighter crew anyway.  Rimlocks, tapes and spokes are equally (if not more) as important to the tire pressures.

Mainline,  since we are in VMX world,  I personally would prefer new rubber.  Duct tape is good for race ready,  but, will surely just leave a residue for the next owner/restorer???

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 11:18:07 am »
heres my input been racing mx off and on
for 30 years
always ran 13 psi nearly everywhere
10 psi in the mud
never had flats  using standard tubes
in the bush 15 psi or less if using hd tubes ;D ;D

I think your on the money holeshot... The pro's seem to use what you run, so if its works for them.. its definately going to be in the ball park for slow me ;D
I run Michellin Heavy duty tubes that are 4mm thick rubber for MX and Enduro, i reckon you could do without the tyre and just run the tube they are that good!!
Maico's, the only way to go.

colmoody

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 07:46:40 pm »
Re the tyre pressure. Ask the guy parked next to you in the pits what he reckons and you'll end up pretty close to the money. I think                               

Doc

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 03:44:45 pm »
tyre and tube weight are also worth consideration when playing with wheels and I normally go for the lightest setup I can find. Run a few strips of rubber across the rim instead of rimlocks will also help shed some weight. The lighter the better and if you also run alloy rear sprocket the difference can quite considerable. A lot of suzuki hubs (not sure with other marques) and backing plates are already magnesium but you can still find excess weight in the sprocket bolts, brake cam, brake shoes and such, these can be drilled, hollowed or replaced with hi tensile alloy jobs if you have some spare cash burning a hole in you pocket or happen to have access to aircraft type fasteners ;) it's not a HP gain and it can't really be seen but will make you bike handle better and is definately worth the effort..food for thought..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:47:16 pm by Doc »

lms6201

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 07:03:10 am »
yep , unsprung weight is always an important factor , getting back to tyre pressure , all the replies are very useful info , and  all opinions seem to fall into a similar range , it,ll get me into a better idea of what to try , it,s hard when your a bit on your own to get these idea,s  like i have just found rimlocks that work , the rubber ones just fold up , am now using the ally with rubber back ones with great results , and they are a lower profile , great result = more than 15 minutes tube life , what,s the dunlop tyre people are using on the frount that hangs on in moist conditions