Author Topic: Bultaco Alpina 360 - Seller wonders at price  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Bultaco Alpina 360 - Seller wonders at price
« on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:25 am »
I got this enquiry the other day from a bloke thinking of selling an old Bultaco Alpina. I'm told it's a 360 and in good nick and I assume a runner. he has no idea if they are desirable or not, or what sort of money to ask. My guess was around $1500-2500, but heck what would I know. He might be sitting on a $500 pile of poo or a $5000 classic. Any thoughts on whether these things are sought after?

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bultaco Alpina 360 - Seller wonders at price
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:28:27 am »
its a 350 and looks the goods to me. I had one years ago. sensational motor, and trials like steering. the original guards are a good point. I would guess its worth a bit more than 500 and your estimate was probably good.. this bike is the wheelie king of all bikes (other than the xr 200).

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 10:35:17 am »
John a guy you may know had one of them, his name is Noel (the jeweller's son), another Bendigo lad. He seemed to think his was a good thing back then.
The closest I ever got to it was when he ran me over with it, leaving knobby tracks from the tip of my Rossi boot right up over my helmet after a "faulty air pressure gauge" incident.
Would have been about 1976ish from memory.
Tony.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:51:22 am »
Yes it's one of the popular models of the Alpina. A strong point for the M137/138 is the handling, being the longest wheelbase of the Alpina models. I currently trail-ride one of them and it goes especially well on modern competition trials tyres.
The only thing against them is that it was a new frame from the M116/117 design and is made from very thin walled tube and they tend to crack in a few places with hard use. The next model had a completely different design frame
Yes I would agree with that pricing and where it sat in that range would depend on how much work was needed on the motor, brake drums and fork tubes
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »
I actually had two and a 326 Sherpa over time. I still have the manual for the alpine (I think...or did I give to someone?) the brakes were an issue letting water in as soon as clouds formed in the sky. a rebuild would be expensive. the last project bike I picked up from Pete Schoene (apologies for spelling) had a completely recoed motor under the grime and it had "herman" engraved on the cases. Apparently it was one of the Flood brothers bikes. I sold it years ago (like an idiot) but with two kids etc etc we do what we have to....