Author Topic: 1984 KX250  (Read 3031 times)

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
1984 KX250
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
I’ve finally got my KX back together, only more than 3 years after it landed in my shed.  I decided not to do a full resto with frame painting, new plastics etc as it is such good original condition.   The seller also informed me that to the best of his knowledge he was the third owner, don’t know about this but the low hour claim is supported by the small amount of frame rubbing above the footpegs.

Due to a renewed interest in doing Finke and my current circumstances only allowing me to have one bike, I have to sell the KX before I’ve even ridden it    :'(

List of what I’ve replaced:
-  Swingarm bearings, all linkage/uni-strut  bearings, top shock bearing, seals and bolt and steering head bearings
-  Upper and lower chain rollers and slides
-  Brake caliper piston and all seals
-  Fork seals and fitted YSS PD valves
-  Shock rebuilt by local shop with new bladder, seals, bump stop etc
-  Twin Air air filter
-  New grips
-  Wide footpegs
-  Numerous bolts and nuts replaced with either OEM or correct style including things such as the front brake cable guide on the front number plate.
-   All new fluids

I have receipts for all this for those who are interested.

Here’s my rebuilding thread:  http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=38587.0

The bad things:
-  the tyres are a bit ordinary and will need replacing soon
-  there are a couple of dints in the pipe and there is a dint in the end of the muffler
-  the plastic protector on the uni-strut is the wrong one.

I’m chasing $3,800   I can help with shipping or I can crate it up, shipping would be much cheaper crated.

The bike is located in Darwin.  Give me a call if you want more info or photos.

Thanks
Andrew
0407 272 327

Some notes from the seller when I bought it and as I’ve had it running for all of 15 minutes, the engine comments could be considered accurate.
Here is a low hour 1984 KX 250. 
Light frame/paint wear near the footpegs.
Original plastics.
Original seat.
Cylinder was sleeved by Kustom Kraft at one point. When I got the bike it was standard bore with some scratches. I had it bored 0.30 over and installed a new Wiseco piston. Motor has approx. 2-3 hours on the top end. I purchased a complete Athena gasket kit and installed it during the top end rebuild.
New clutch lever. 
Clutch and throttle cables are both new.
The left side cover has had some holes drilled along the bottom, probably for air flow to the airbox.
Frame has had no repairs made and there is not cracks anywhere that I noticed when I had the motor out. It still has the original stickers on the frame head tube.
The handlebars are not stock. They are stock 2008 KX250F bars.
Trans shifts through all gears fine.
Clutch does not slip and plates were within spec when I had the motor apart.
Crank bearings seemed rock solid, though I never split the cases. No side to side slop, no slop on the magneto side. Big end bearing had no up-down play in it.
Also one of the front fender bolts is broke off inside the bottom of the triple tree. Someone tried to remove it with no luck the 3 remaining bolts still hold the fender firm.
What's missing:  The mud guard behind the rear shock was missing when I got the bike and the oil drain plug has been re-tapped because it was stripped when I got the bike.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:41:31 pm by bishboy »

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 KX250
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 02:23:03 pm »
I think that's a great example of a 84 KX250. Are the pegs you fitted from the old XR Hondas? I want to get wider pegs for my bike.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:27:10 pm by MaxPower »

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:57:33 pm »
Thanks Max

The pegs are just steel ones of ebay, a tiny bit of grinding and they fit perfect.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:56 pm »
bumpity bump

Surely someone wants to buy this rare and rapidly appreciating example of fine vmx exotica   ;D

Crated and ready to go, freight is about $300 to most capitals