Author Topic: Timing a PVL  (Read 1781 times)

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Timing a PVL
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »
I need help setting the timing on a PVL. I know it's not hard, I'm just a little confused. The lack of a key is throwing me off.
I have my dial gauge and instructions, but I just tilt my head and look at it like a dog that doesn't understand what you are asking him to do. The timing is to be set at 1.2 btdc
And what is the solution to replace the little runner thing to seal the stator wire? Split the old one with a knife and use that?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:40:30 PM by MaxPower »

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Timing a PVL
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
Cut the rubber seal and refit with a bit of silicon.
To set the timing. Fit the stator in the middle of the mount hole slots. Set the motor at 1.2 BDC with year dial gauge and then fit the rotor with the timing marks lined up. Do up the nut to the required torque the recheck the timing still lines up at 1.2mm and if not move the stator till it does.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
Sleepy's explanation is spot on.  Here are some pics of how i did it on my website... http://yz125k.weebly.com/electrical.html

Cheers,
Alex

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »
Having no key was the part that confused me. I appreciate the help. It couldn't be more simple . There is a race next weekend and I was going to not install it until I had time to play with it. But I can't see a reason not to now. I even made the same gauge as you.
Can I run the stock plug would you know and how did your bike run with the new set up? The rotor is considerably lighter than stock. I imagine the KX is going to wing up like a model airplane engine with that tiny rotor. One thing I didn't like was the amount of crank that stick into the new rotor. It doesn't sit on very much. You guys are a lot of help. Thanks

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »
When the rotor is light it doesn't need much to drive it. 

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »
MaxPower, mine is like an electric chainsaw with the PVL and Jemco pipe.  I contacted Penton and they replied that for the digital PVL, the plug should be an Iridium style thin wire plug and if your plug is a resistor plug like nearly all plugs are now, your cap should be non-resistor.
Hope it all runs well..

Cheers,
Alex