Author Topic: cleaning spokes in-situ  (Read 5802 times)

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
cleaning spokes in-situ
« on: October 31, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
Has anyone come up with a cunning plan for cleaning/polishing spokes without stripping the wheel down

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning spokes in-situ
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »
steel wool and wd 40.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 09:45:22 PM »
Try using some boot laces,about two wraps around the spoke and the polish,grinding paste,WD, etc of your choice.Push,pull the lace ends.

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 10:41:14 PM »
Some cunning plans there, thanks gents

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
Depending how deteriorated the spokes are, try using some autosol polishing compound before you reach for a harsh abrasive. The bootlace technique or the steel wool are great suggestions, but you wouldnt want to rub all the plating of the spokes if you didnt need to. This would accelerate the deterioration.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
Didn't have any boot laces handy, but did have the offcut off a roll of chux that i cut down to fit in a dispenser. 1/2 inch roll of chux 50m long, have only done a few spokes with autosol but it works a treat. Thanks guys

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »

If you have an old pair of jeans they also work great, just cut into strips and they probably wear better than the chux and they are no use for anthing else not even a workshop rag.
                                                                                    Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
if they are badly corroded, I have sprayed them with silver paint to give a serviceable but cheap finish where owners have not wanted to replace them

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
Engage the services of a son or daughter at slave labour rates. Works for me.
K

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
Engage the services of a son or daughter at slave labour rates. Works for me.
K

Best idea yet. Unfortunately the 11 yr old makes a goldfish seem like yoda.

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
In the past year I have built 3 wheels. I don't know what I was afraid of for 32 years. It's really not that difficult. I'm not saying you should break your wheels down. Only it's easier than I thought of for me. The reason I got the guts to try it was the spokes were so bad. Even with putting each spoke in a drill I think I would have been better just buying new spokes.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »
I have been cleaning up the spokes on the old YB100 Yammie I got from the local tip by removing a couple of spokes at a time and giving them a rub with a nylon scouring pad using Autosol mixed with CRC. By carefully re-tensioning the spokes when put back into the wheel, the wheels have remained fairly straight, and only needed a bit of tweaking to get true afterwards.

I have had to resort to a heat gun to "thermally shock"some of the spoke nipples to get the nipples to turn, but all the nipples eventually came free. I have uese a anti seize paste on the threads during re assembly to make things easy if I ever decide to restore the bike and get the spokes replated.
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
Just got 2 grubby wheels done by step daughter, took her 4.5 hours to turn some shabby wheels into shiny wheels using W & D sand paper, soapy steel wool, brake cleaner & autosol. $10 per hour =$45 to her. Girls seem to have more patience than boys for that tedious stuff. Good value for me, as it would have driven me nuts doing it.
K

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
Just got 2 grubby wheels done by step daughter, took her 4.5 hours to turn some shabby wheels into shiny wheels using W & D sand paper, soapy steel wool, brake cleaner & autosol. $10 per hour =$45 to her. Girls seem to have more patience than boys for that tedious stuff. Good value for me, as it would have driven me nuts doing it.
K

If only I could train my dogs (our kids) to do those tedious jobs....... I wouldn't have to fork out anything more than a few straps of schmackos!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Although I've built a few wheels from scratch i decided not to do the full bare-metal resto on this bike, so stripping the wheels down wasn't happening.  I ended up doing what col suggested and removing a couple of spokes at a time. Luckily they're straight pull so easy to remove and polish up.