Author Topic: Well crap ona cracker  (Read 6266 times)

Offline vlxk

• Novice
    • View Profile
Well crap ona cracker
« on: October 04, 2015, 06:33:13 am »
I finally had everything lined out, bike runs very strong, looks good, seemingly ready to go for tomorrow's Vintage MX. My first race on a real MX bike in over 30 years.

Today I go to the track to work on fork settings and just get a few laps in before tomorrow. I get to doing some pretty intense laps with a buddy on a YZ250F (set up for woods) and we are having a great time. On the last lap we are doing something just doesn't feel right, the jump landing seem harder and the whoops didn't go as smoothly as before.

I get back to the pits for a final look at the bike before heading home and glance down at the swingarm....it's covered in oil and dirt!!! :(

All that time I spent chasing parts and rebuild info for the Boge LTG shocks, thanks again to this site for the great info :) the seals in both are blown and the oil has covered the rear wheel in gunk.

So no race tomorrow.

I had not planned on going today, my buddy talked me into it last night. I probably would have made most of the laps in two classes tomorrow if I hadn't gone today!

I think rather than go through the Boge deal again I'll just pony up for a set of the cheapie Progressives for next year.

Carry on.

RM250C2
Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Well crap ona cracker
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:32:05 pm »
Yeh but even if you did make most of the laps at the race day, it would then have crapped out early on the next time out, which knowing what we do about Murphy's Law would have been a big meeting miles away. No dramas bud, you're nearly there... 8)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »
go Works Performance.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:13:35 pm »
If the shocks were in excellent condition, and the seals blew together, then the forces on the shocks were too high. Could it be the shocks were overfilled with oil or some similar basic problem ?
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:21 am »
sorry WASP - they maybe from USA - but they were cheaper than what you offered and, like you I assume, offered exceptional back up - then to boot they have been nothing but brilliant on the bike.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:10 am »
Wasp congratulations on your products success's at the Titles , what classes did they win ,was it short travel , Early LTR , EVO or Single shock classes  ?

By local products do you mean items that are manufactured entirely in Australia by Australian taxpayers , using Australian sourced materials and assembled in Australia by Australian tax payers ?

Or products imported and sold by Australian tax payers

Or somewhere in between ?

I run works performance on a few of my bikes and cant fault the product or the back up service. I raced Davy Crockets bikes at the Connondale classic fitted with works performance shocks to a class win and a 2nd .

Would look at local products if price and more importantly back up service matched .

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:39:49 am by William Doe »
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »
Thanks Walli will have a swat up on it tonight  :)

Offline Jumbo J

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:34:44 pm »
Wasp congratulations on your products success's at the Titles , what classes did they win ,was it short travel , Early LTR , EVO or Single shock classes  ?

By local products do you mean items that are manufactured entirely in Australia by Australian taxpayers , using Australian sourced materials and assembled in Australia by Australian tax payers ?

Or products imported and sold by Australian tax payers

Or somewhere in between ?

I run works performance on a few of my bikes and cant fault the product or the back up service. I raced Davy Crockets bikes at the Connondale classic fitted with works performance shocks to a class win and a 2nd .

Would look at local products if price and more importantly back up service matched .
Good comment Bill. I've been burned by a well know suspension supplier, whose name i wont mention, but if anyone wants to know the details they can contact me privately. Its not just about where the parts come from, but also how they are assembled, installed and backed up by decent service - which can be a rare commodity in these days of a quick buck.  PS. sorry about the WC result Sat night  :)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 01:57:27 pm »
I couldn't find the Australian made criteria logo on this box of locally sourced product

https://australianmade.com.au/why-buy-australian-made/about-the-logo/

now im confused  :-\
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:01:13 pm by William Doe »

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 02:06:54 pm »
Seems like the YSS major components are manufactured in Thailand and probably tailored and assembled by the various national agents.

YSS FACTORY, BANGPLEE I.E., SAMUTPRAKARN, THAILAND

This link takes you to the YSS USA
blurb page:  http://www.yssusa.com/company.html

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:16:35 pm by Momus »
If you love it, lube it.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:11:21 pm »

YSS FACTORY, BANGPLEE I.E., SAMUTPRAKARN, THAILAND

Is that in QLD or the NT ? it looks tropical  ;D

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 02:31:36 pm »
Im working on it Walli  ;D

A suspicious bugger might think you deliberately diverted this thread to get a bit of free publicity  :o

Luckily we know your not like that  :)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »
It makes a change for a Pom to be on the ball Walli after Sundays RWC debacle , that result was a shocker and im not even sure where that shock originated  ;D