Author Topic: SWM is back in buisness  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Chilly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
SWM is back in buisness
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:16:30 pm »
http://www.swm-motorcycles.it/en/

Great news for the lovers of Italian built Husky's.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: SWM is back in buisness
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:17:24 pm »
And yet no 2Ts?!
Sad panda. :(

Price will have to be very sharp to sell a mild revision of a fairly unloved platform that was already dirt cheap.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:28:59 pm »
I see the words "Chinese Businessman"
Are these Chinese bikes rebranded to ride on the coat tails of a 70's icon :(
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:52:56 pm »
I see the words "Chinese Businessman"
Are these Chinese bikes rebranded to ride on the coat tails of a 70's icon :(

They're copies of 2013ish TE310, TE510 and 650 Terra with styling revisions - and presumably made in China.

In reality it's the same basic thing that Kia and Proton (among many others) did: rehashing an established design to get a foot in the market. Using an obscure, semi-iconic name from the past seems a bit pointless, but may make a difference to the market acceptance.
Or they could go the same way as MZ.

Shineray are among the better quality Chinese bikes. Like the Japanese bikes in the early days, the manufacturing stuff is pretty well sorted, but the design details are more difficult to pin down.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Chilly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:02:39 pm »
the 650 is the old 630 with a few mods, not the terra that had the BMW rotax lump. The 300 and 500 are based on the earlier Cagiva motor not the Xlite motor. They will be built in Italy and there are plans for a 2t range.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 09:23:38 pm »
Really? Wow. Wasn't the Pre-X-lite 250/310 an unreliable dog of a thing?

Offline Chilly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 09:43:41 pm »
They were never fire breathing race winning weapons but still a great bike for the average punter. I have a 2010 TE 310 that has done a lot of work and it has never let me down, my wife has a 2007 TE 250 and it has been great as well. Admittedly we are not super fast riders but we do ride a lot. I also have a SM 630 it goes like a cut cat and has been completely reliable.

I'm excited because parts for these bikes are becoming hard to source since the KTM takeover and now there may be an alternate source for parts.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 09:54:51 pm »
Nathan touched on the subject of brand name. Im  wondering why pick SWM to be reborn when to be honest, no one in the mainstream would have heard of the name. Its not a catchy name for the advertising gurus  to play with. Speedy Working Motors,,,, well that reeks of chinglish so Im wondering who the target audience is? Seems China is a huge market that many exotic  automotive companies are taking advantage of.

None of the machines on offer are particularly attractive but I do note they seem to fit squarely in the mid range retro cafe racer bracket which  if evilbay is worth anything, booming at the moment. How long will we see this resurrection around for?

I hope its not a flash in the pan  as SWM do have a proud if short history and it would be a shame to have such a proud name remembered by the new breed as cheap chinese  wannabeees.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 08:29:20 am »
X lite Husky engines are pretty decent things, had a few through the shop & they go really well & the bikes ride nice, nothing wrong there. Gas Gas have the 250 & 210 X lite engines in their range now but their 450 is still Yamaha. I can't see the new SWM's getting too many sales.
K
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:34:05 pm by bigk »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 05:15:09 pm »
Think you mean gas gas had the x lite engine in their range now that they are no more

Offline Chilly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 04:05:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=goLN4z3cY0E

That's the old Husky factory in Italy, so perhaps Chinese funded but definitely made in Italy.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:53:17 pm »

The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies