Author Topic: Changing era from Scramble to Moto Cross........1970  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
Changing era from Scramble to Moto Cross........1970
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:13 pm »
I found this program in my late Dad's collection from 1970........NSW Grand National Moto Cross at Moorebank........must be one of my first Open meetings on my stock standard Yamaha DT1. There are some very famous names in this one, and it really shows the changing machinery in the sport, from old to modern.......like, Cotton, Greeves, Metisse to Bultaco, Maico, Suzuki, Yamaha. Interesting also, advertising the next meeting at Mount Kembla on 13 December........I've included the results sheet from that meeting. This was so early for me, my race number was 291, not 516. I loved my DT1 and after fitting a Hot Up Kit, it was quite a successful bike in "C" grade........I sold the bike to John Behrens at the end of 1971. It was his first race bike.

One of the bikes in the NSW Grand National Moto Cross is now owned by my good friend, Gregg McLean.........#13 Col Evans' Matchless / Metisse.........he will be racing it in the Pre '65 class at the Australian Classic Dirt Track Championships at Temora on 5 & 6 September..............

Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Re: Changing era from Scramble to Moto Cross........1970
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:01:13 pm »
I like the early DT1 pics very cool  8) jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Broad-Arrow

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 04:40:21 pm »
Thanks for sharing Dave.  Very interesting.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:35:59 pm »
Love this old stuff. When I was secretary of the Harley MCC of WA and we lost the famous Ropeworks track, we ran the "Harley Coastal Motocross" together with the Coastal MCC at a track south of Fremantle. I've always thought it was the first time the term "Motocross" was used in Australia, but I could be corrected on that. This was 1965.
In 1966 we worked with the Fledgeling Narrogin MCC to run their first open event at Dandaloo Park, the track which is home to VMX WA to this day.