Author Topic: Best place to buy grinding burrs?  (Read 6187 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Best place to buy grinding burrs?
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »
Could anyone suggest where is the best place to buy grinding burrs?  A quality burr at a realistic price.  Chasing a cone shaped burr for grinding steel.

Thanks
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to buy grinding burrs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:31:51 PM »
My local bearing shop sells em John ;)

Offline Speed

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
Could anyone suggest where is the best place to buy grinding burrs?  A quality burr at a realistic price.  Chasing a cone shaped burr for grinding steel.

Thanks

What Size John, what shank and is it for a one off job?

If it's just for a one off.  I'd have something here you could use.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:43:37 PM by Speed »

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
Try this place, they have a good online store where you can order any quantity of anything they sell. https://www.bolt.com.au/carbide-burs-double-cut-c-2873_2939_2940.html

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:59:16 PM »
Try this place, they have a good online store where you can order any quantity of anything they sell. https://www.bolt.com.au/carbide-burs-double-cut-c-2873_2939_2940.html

Price is a bit of a joke to be honest pmc57. Here you get set for hundred bucks rather than one http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Carbide-Burrs andthis folk http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbide-Burr-SH-2L6D-Flame-Shape-Double-Cut-1-4-x-5-16-x-3-4-x-6-3-4-/161405059536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25947dc1d0 is seling by a piece(even with shipping an AU dollar worth nothing, they still cheaper than a local supplier, not sure why)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »
Tomas
J.O. asked for a quality burr at a realistic price. The mob I suggested sell mainly Suttons which is Australian owned and manufactured so I assume their quality will be up there. I don't care what you buy but supporting Australian manufacturing should be on everyone's agenda if it's a comparable product at a realistic price.
Machinery House (Hare and Forbes) sell majority made in Asia product targeted at the budget buyer, ebay..... "caveat emptor"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:04:53 PM »

Thanks

Big thing is how big a compressor you will have to drive it, my 12cfm just handles it. Next is put a pair of disposable surgical gloves or washing up gloves on as that really fine swarf is a PITA
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
Tomas
J.O. asked for a quality burr at a realistic price. The mob I suggested sell mainly Suttons which is Australian owned and manufactured so I assume their quality will be up there. I don't care what you buy but supporting Australian manufacturing should be on everyone's agenda if it's a comparable product at a realistic price.
Machinery House (Hare and Forbes) sell majority made in Asia product targeted at the budget buyer, ebay..... "caveat emptor"

the ebay mob sells US made stuf if you dont want chinese. it is not something you going to use every day.  supporting australian made is nice if you can afford it, its just that there isnt much of australian made stuff left. sad but true

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
Thanks Guys,  Thanks Shane, I might like a few to keep,   :-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Speed

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
Thanks Guys,  Thanks Shane, I might like a few to keep,   :-)

I use Pferd mate. If you want them to use often and to last. I've tried just about every brand and no-name brand over the years
but keep coming back to Pferd. 

As is all ways the case. I've just recently given away a heap.  Not sure what you want them for but I'll
Have a look after and see if I still have some you can have.

I stop using them as soon as they start rubbing not cutting.  But they are still fine for everyday workshop use.

Or next time you're around the corner, drop in and we can go through them.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »
that really fine swarf is a PITA
Understatement of the year, IMHO. That fine swarf is the gift that keeps on giving - days after using the grinder I find myself still vainly trying to get the annoying little slivers out of my fingers....

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 09:35:27 PM »
https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/05505607/bur-mr-m41299-cb2c-12-x-1-x14

Local business I am sure you know  and on side panel lists Pferd, Sutton and other quality brands.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:38:46 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
I have just got hold of some Pferd burs and these in my line of work are very good you get what you pay for. their files are very good also i got one for plastic and aluminium just last week and the far exceed the performance of the cheap ones i hvae been buying
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »
What sort of prices are there from Blackwoods, Tim? Every time I've spoken to them I need to sell a major internal organ to afford their stock.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
I buy from Blackwoods site at the local Elmore field days* to stock up at fair to good prices ;) 

*one very very handy bonus of being a resident of Elmore Vic...

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.