Author Topic: Model Year Data - Brochures, Magazine Articles, Etc, 1977 ~ 1984  (Read 3657 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
BACKGROUND
Over the last few years the VIPER committee have been challenged with adjudicating into the "model remains unaltered" rule that pops up in the GCR's from time to time. Fortunitly we have had people on the committee that remember the models in question and as a result have been able to provide guidance in overcoming the issue.

OVERVIEW
Within the 2008 GCR's, the rule 18.7.14.2 exists;
18.7.14.2 Pre 85 eligibility
Acceptable machines for pre 85 are machines built up to and including the 1984 models. The only exception to this GCR is where the model remains unaltered after this date. The onus of proof of eligibility shall rest holly on the rider or entrant of this machine.
With the Pre85 class, and to a lesser extent Evolution, there is a need to clearly understand exactly what Year Model was specified with what equipment, inclusive of what aftermarket components were avaliable at the time. The easiest way to do this is to use brochures, magazine articles, etc.

REQUEST
Specifically what i would like to do is build a file that would contain all this data and be used to support the inclusion/alterations of GCR's in the future. I have started to collect various Suzuki brochures but i very quickly have come to the conclusion that it is a huge task that i singulary wont be able to do, hence the request. If you have any of this type of data, i kindly request if you could forward it to me so that i can sort them into some format, yet to be decided.
Color scans would be the best way to go as sometimes the inclusion of BNG (Bold New Graphics) is the only external way that you can identify the model change and a black and white might not show this. Obviously some magazines were black & white and some information might only be avalaible in black & white so i'll take what ever i can get.

I'm in the process of working out the best way to transmit this data but in the meantime if you could have a think about wether you can assist it would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Bahnsy
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

magoo

Re: Model Year Data - Brochures, Magazine Articles, Etc, 1977 ~ 1984
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:02:27 pm »
Good idea. I've got original colour brochures for every model CR from 1973 to 1989. I'll see what I can do as far as scanning them is concerned.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
Bahzy did this ever evole to action ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 03:34:44 pm »
In the MOMS for several years now it has shown the recognise carry over models for Pre 70 to Pre 78.

I believe anyone (or a club) wanting to have a model for Pre 85 and Pre 90 recognised probably should submit them to MA to approve.  They could then be put in the MOMS or available on a separate list.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54:07 pm »
Are there any mainstream Pre-85 or Pre-90 carry overs?

Even the 1990 KX500 has different forks (and possibly swingarm) compared to the 89 model.

The 1990 RM125 is the closest I know of: if you overlook the typical porting/compression/suspension valving/spring rate tweaks, it is basically a 1989 RM125 with a pair of 1989 RM250 forks fitted, a two-piece clutch cover and an O-ring (rather than fibre) head gasket.
Does that qualify as mechanically identical or not?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:00:26 pm »
Are there any mainstream Pre-85 or Pre-90 carry overs?

Even the 1990 KX500 has different forks (and possibly swingarm) compared to the 89 model.

The 1990 RM125 is the closest I know of: if you overlook the typical porting/compression/suspension valving/spring rate tweaks, it is basically a 1989 RM125 with a pair of 1989 RM250 forks fitted, a two-piece clutch cover and an O-ring (rather than fibre) head gasket.
Does that qualify as mechanically identical or not?
1990 cr 500 ? I think they just received BNG. 1991 they were updated with different air box, side panels ect

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »
In the MOMS for several years now it has shown the recognise carry over models for Pre 70 to Pre 78.

I believe anyone (or a club) wanting to have a model for Pre 85 and Pre 90 recognised probably should submit them to MA to approve.  They could then be put in the MOMS or available on a separate list.

Per 85 and 90 also allow for models built after cut off date if the machine has remained unaltered from the cut off date

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 03:46:03 pm »

Per 85 and 90 also allow for models built after cut off date if the machine has remained unaltered from the cut off date

Yes it does say that.  But because the MOMS for Pre 70, 75 & 78 states which bikes are carry over models, it should also state approved carry over models for Pre 85 & 90.  It doesn't so in my opinion there are no recognised (by MA) carry over models.

To my knowledge the only bike that could be considered is the 1990 (& 91) YZ 490.

The CR 500 has different forks and the KX 500 has some small changes also.

Really these bikes could be considered as the changes are minor, but in my opinion it is up to MA to decide and by that I mean the MA Office after consultation with the Commission.

So if you have some bikes you think should be considered send the lists and the reasons why to MA.

I think there could also be parts that could be considered as carry overs.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490