Author Topic: Your thoughts on sparkplug colouring?  (Read 6918 times)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on sparkplug colouring?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 01:00:49 pm »
Marc.com quote  "Ethanol is on the same hate list as cycle lanes, Greens trying to control the world with shitty science."   ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:02:34 pm by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 10:24:03 am »
like he says, unleaded is near impossible to get a true plug color with. i look at the plug generaly only when i have the jetting as close to right for a given area or altitude. I think if you start a bit on the richer side on the main and come back to where it clears out or doesn't load to much and the main is really just full throttle pilot jets low rpm when its just right snaps off the bottom easy slide and needle a bit trickier but when it feels right check the plug and you should have some colour in the old days always milk chocolate but today with our crap fuel can be brown to black. and then when you go somewhere else start again a nicely jetted bike is so nice to ride the effort is worth it. an observation i made back in the seventies going to Bathurst with my brother you had to trade of on the jetting a bit cause if it was good down conrod it would four stroke like crazy up on the Mt and if you had it clean accross the top yep you would burn a hole in the piston down the straight was even trickier when the weather changed up there probably the hardest place to get the jets right in the world. as the altitude increases lean off . I JUST WANT A THOUSAND GALLONS OF SUPER
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:26:39 am »
My problem turned-out to be gearbox oil being sucked in during high rpm (at low/no throttle openings) causing a patchy plug colouring.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.