Author Topic: DAKAR BIKES SET TO RUMBLE IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Rosco

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
DAKAR BIKES SET TO RUMBLE IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:06:05 pm »
The picturesque town of Birdwood is the home to the National Motor Museum, which will become the centre of attention on Tuesday morning, March 17 and everyone is invited and welcome.

The scene will be set when Charley Boorman of Long Way Round fame, in partnership with Compass Expeditions, ride into the museum’s carpark a week into their 10-day Sydney-to-the-Outback Tour, where they’ll be met by motorcycling royalty. On hand to greet them will be: Moto GP legend, Jerry Burgess; Andy Haydon (who was the first Australian to podium at Dakar Rally, with a third Outright in 1998 as a privateer); Toby Price (who, 17 years on, emulated Haydon’s feat with a stunning third Outright in the 2015 event); Dave Schwarz (who was Andy Caldecott’s Motorex KTM teammate in the 2005 Dakar); along with Andy’s wife, Tracey Caldecott, and family.

Holden On Tight’s Rosco Holden, known for staging special motorcycle events, made initial contact with Boorman at last year’s Phillip Island Moto GP and, after learning that he was heading to the National Motor Musuem, hatched a plan. “Seeing as this fantastic museum is now home to Dave’s and Andy’s Dakar bikes,” explained Holden, “I thought it would be a great opportunity to get Charley and the guys from Compass Expeditions to experience the sights and sounds of the big Factory KTM Dakar twins. Each year, Schwarz takes the iconic machines out to start them up and give them some general maintenance, so it made perfect sense to combine the two events.”

Having approached Jerry Burgess at the recent Phillip Island Classic, Holden also seems to have enthused one of the world’s best-known and most successful race team manager. “After 30-plus years in the GP paddock,” says Burgess, “I’m really looking forward to this new experience in South Australia and meeting this group of high achievers and like-minded people so close to my home.”

Jerry Burgess clearly enjoyed relaxing at the recent Island Classic.

Photo: Russell Colvin

Charley Boorman is similarly thrilled about the opportunity. “I’m so excited to be getting back to Australia for my big adventure ride into the Outback,” the Englishman says. “And heading to the National Motor Museum Birdwood in is the icing on the cake. Getting to see all the cool petrol-head exhibits there – in particular, the Dakar bikes – is just superb. And with a few famous Australian icons coming along too, March 17 is going to be a very special day. Maybe St. Patrick himself will turn up!”

Charley Boorman, at ‘home’ in the Australian Outback.

Photo: Motorbikewriter.com

According to Andy Haydon, “I’m so looking forward to this get-together and sharing some Dakar stories with Charley and Toby; about going to places like Tombouctou in Africa, which felt like the end of the Earth.”

Australia’s newest Dakar Rally sensation, Toby Price, is also excited about the prospect of meeting the men and machines that laid the Dakar foundations for Australians to follow. “I'm really looking forward to seeing the bikes and getting to catch up with everyone and have a chat,” explained Price. “Andy Caldecott was an Aussie off-road legend, so to meet his family and friends is going to be great. Spending time around our motorcycle family is always the best.”

Like Andy Haydon, Toby Price scored a podium at his first Dakar attempt.

Photo: ASO.fr

Tracey Caldecott: “What an awesome way to get to meet these worldwide motorcycle names that I have the utmost respect for. I haven’t seen Jerry Burgess since the GP in 2006, and of course Charley raced the fateful Dakar for Andy in 2006. It’ll also be great to catch up with Toby, who did such a sensational job this year’s event. What a privilege it is that we can share the sounds of Andy’s and Dave’s Dakar bikes with the group and public attending. We can’t wait.”

Marianne Norman (Director at the National Motor Museum): “We are thrilled to be welcoming Charley Boorman and Compass Expeditions to the museum. It began as a private collection of motorcycles in a disused flour mill, which was opened to the public in 1965. So it is fitting that, during our 50th anniversary year, we can celebrate ‘the motorcycle’ and meet such a prestigious group of Australian motorcycle champions and icons.”

Mick McDonald (Compass Expeditions founder and expedition ride leader): “I can’t wait to meet Toby and congratulate him on his brilliant finish at this year’s Dakar.”

For this special day, the National Motor Museum has offered discounted tickets.

The day also gives those attending the opportunity of a lifetime: to have a photo with all these motorcycle royalty. All proceeds from the occasion will go to the Andy Caldecott Trust (http://www.andycaldecott.com.au/images/CALDECOTT-1.jpg)

Full details can be found on the Holden On Tight Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holden-On-Tight/780687788666975

For details and directions for the National Motor Museum:
http://nationalmotormuseum.com.au/

Only a few spots remain why don’t you sign up now and join Charley on this awesome adventure tour. Click the links below for details.                                                                                                                                         

COMPASS ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLE EXPEDITIONS
www.compassexpeditions.com
www.londontomagadan.com
"BMW Official Travel Partner"

The world’s only motorcycle tour company to be included in Nat Geo's "Top 50 tours of a lifetime" list.                                           

Any queries, email Rosco Holden on: [email protected]