Author Topic: Twin shock lengths??  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Twin shock lengths??
« on: January 11, 2015, 03:50:35 pm »
I considering a set of Husky twin shocks for my Kawasaki. What model has the longest shocks? I need 18" inches.... :D

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Twin shock lengths??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:05:37 pm »
the itc ohlins can be altered by slipping a spacer inside them

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:36:52 pm »
ITC Ohlins already have short shaft travel and long bodies, putting a spacer in will restrict you to about 8" wheel travel.
You need the Ohlins from a 81/82 husky and they can be lengthened using ITC bottom shock mounts to the length you need.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:26:33 am »
If you are planning on fitting the ITC's to a KLX250 beware of the piston travel. They don't have the same travel as the original KYB.
I think you can increase the travel slightly, but at the expense of seal head wear.
I had a pair of 81 piggy backs that I offered up to mine, and they were a little short on travel too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:28:31 am by grouty »
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:57 am »
Very useful info, thanks guys. Yes they are for a KLX. Ill keep an eye out, if I can locate the parts for the right price ill have a play with em. Also Grouty how did you go for clearance on the top mount?

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 03:03:43 am »
I offered them up, as in along side. I was too lazy to unbolt the old KYB's. So never got around to the clearance issues. I may have another look tonight now you mention it.
Mine are the originals and still work perfectly. I have enquired about being able to rebuild them. I was told that Robin Packham at Falcon Shocks here in the UK has done a pair in the past. He would be my first stop if mine needed doing as I think the origials are brilliant.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:13:04 am »
In hind site I would have kept the originals and rebuilt them, but unfortunately I no longer have them. Im running a set of Progressive shocks, (modified) that work well at the moment but I would like a spare set plus I thought the Husky shocks would look cool! ;)