Author Topic: RM80 Shift Pawl not centered  (Read 1160 times)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
RM80 Shift Pawl not centered
« on: January 09, 2015, 06:21:31 pm »
Just finished putting the 79 RM80N together.  Gearbox is acting funky.  Having trouble shifting up and down.  I have gone up and down through the gearbox by rocking the wheel on a stand and playing with it.  Bike went from neutral to first and i rode up street and got second but its having trouble grabbing gears.  I knew i might have trouble as the pawl is not centered as in the pic below.  Its towards one end more which means it does not really have enough movement to rotate the pins on the drum.  Anyway, i kind of know the problem but im having a problem with a solution as none of it is adjustable.  Just wondering if anyone else has come across a similar arrangement and come across a simple solution.  I have read somewhere that you have to make the shift shaft pin into a cam arrangement which pushes the pawl over a bit.  Anyway, just got the old girl running this arvo and will open up the clutch side in the morning for a play.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RM80 Shift Pawl not centered
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:32:05 pm »
Are you sure the set screw & nut towards the back of the motor isn't for adjustment. Seem to remember that my TY250 has a form of adjustment for centering the pawls & that looks familiar

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:32:11 am »
Tony, good pic up but that set screw is in a threaded hole and there is no adjustment at the moment.  Thats the one i was referring to when i was talking about making a cam arrangement. Build up some weld on one side of the set screw behind the plate and then you can rotate it in the thread to get some adjustment and then lock it off with the nut.  Not sure why Suzuki didnt do that in the first place and also why they go so far out of adjustment.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »
OK, i feel like an burk and it has cost me heaps of time.  It was the set screw and it is already a cam arrangement.  When i finally put my reading glasses on, on took the old screw out, it had a cam on it.  There you go for future reference.  Even the Suzuki manual and the after market manual didnt mention that. Anyway, put it back in with some loctite and adjusted it and got the pawl nice and central.
Pic below....