Author Topic: Montesa VB brake shoes  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Montesa VB brake shoes
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »
Would anyone have tips on the best place to get hold of some rear brakes to suit '77 VB 250/360 Cappras ? I may have to send my worn out brake shoes away to be re-bonded and resized, but would prefer to buy some new or aftermarket ones ready to go.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Montesa VB brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 04:38:59 pm »
You're better off sending the wheel (or hub) to a machinist to get it round again, then get your old shoes bonded to suit. Off the shelf shoes won't take any wear of the hub into account. Doing this is the best way to ensure your old bike has brakes that work.
K

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:36:46 pm »
I don't know where you can get them, but AGPA has rear brake shoes for the VB. Part number M-276.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:59 am »
Thanks, Big K And Cappra, for the replies. The shop in my town that used to reline brake shoes, closed down a few years ago and it was going to be an expensive option to send everything away to get done. However, I just realised that I am spending 4 days in Cairns soon and there is a business there that relines brakes. I will take my wheels, backing plates and worn out shoes with me and hopefully get everything refurbished, while I am there. I assume that they will have a range of lining materials, so I will go for the softest one. I will also try to track down a set of AGPA (M-276) shoes to keep as spares.