Author Topic: Trivia....The Goondawindi Gate.  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trivia....The Goondawindi Gate.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 11:55:22 pm »
That's  8) Lawrie.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 12:00:26 pm »
The design of the start gates at Conondale are not based on the Goondiwindi gates.

They are taken from a set of start gates I made for the Redcliffe Motorcycle Club (now Moreton District Motocross) that were first used by our club at the Duffield road track in about 1990.  I made them by adopting a design that was at the Ipswich/Laidley MX track.  James Clark's father (Clive) made them.  There were several different sets made using the same design for Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Mundubbera, Conondale and possibly other tracks.

The main difference is you can lift one side (15 or 20 gates) in one go.

There is also another design that was made by an employee of Scott Pengelly that are used at Echo Valley and the portable gates that the MQ MX sub-committee have.

The basics of the original gates I made are still in use at Tivioli.  They have been modified to use electro magnates now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:57:24 am by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline N22

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:56 pm »
The "Goondiwindi Gate" was the first self penalizing MX starting system in Australia,my brother and I took up the challenge to make a gate similar to the ones used in the USA Supercross.I can remember spending all day working out how to make a reliable release trigger,we decided to make a cable operated system so that the gate could be set up on uneven ground,and could be packed into the back of a ute(the Goondiwindi Track was prone to flooding and on a public reserve)
 We made the Gate in early 1979,and at our round of the Darling Downs 4WK MX Series,Geoff Udy bought his mate Geoff Eldridge along,he did an article on the Gate,one day licences,and the Expression Session on the Skyrocket Jump.Blair Shepherd(supercross fame)phoned us and asked us if we could make another set and take to Sydney (35000 spectators)Supercross,of course we said yes,and for the next few years we paid for our bikes(I wish I still had them all)by supplying Blair and a lot of Clubs with Gates.The set we took to Sydney,was used at Toowoomba for 21 years ,then went to Roma.The articles appeared in the 1979 Oct Nov issue of ADB,I still have a copy somewhere.
If you are not living on the Edge,you are taking up to much Space!!

BSA Gold Flash,Triumph Bonnevile,DT250A,YZ250B,PE250a.YZ125D,RM125C,RM125N,RM125X,IT175H,IT250G,03CRF250X,07CRF450X,O8CRF250