Author Topic: KLX250 Needs rebore  (Read 8921 times)

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KLX250 Needs rebore
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 08:47:12 am »
Hi Sleepy,

Yes please PM me details of a trustworthy source.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Team Moto are not honest. Their staff are great but the company is driven first and foremost by the dollar. I guess that is why they are still around and growing all the time.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:02 am »
I have been running the 270 kit for many years now. No issues with the gearbox so long as you use the clutch for the changes and don't treat it like a 250 two stroke motocrosser.
There is quite a thread on this under "KLX250 a shared disease"

I used a 72mm MTC piston from Florida. Not too expensive either. A rebore here in the UK is about £35-£40. The taking apart and putting back together is a doddle. You don't even have to take the engine out to do it. I also built up a head with Megacycle cam and 1"1/2 exhaust. It is still gutless, but has the grunt of an XT500 !

If you are being quoted those sort of prices I would go elsewhere !
You will find plenty of help on here for the KLX. They may be gutless (it will improve a bit), but if treated right the are very reliable and handle like a dream.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 10:20:50 am »
Link to the original thread    http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=102.0

There is 18 pages !
Many more topics if you search under KLX250
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 01:50:19 pm »
I have a good 2nd hand barrel with piston and rings still in spec if your interested!?

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 04:59:45 pm »
Thanks Curtis. Pulling the head and barrel off tomorrow so will finally discover how good or bad it is. If it's ugly I will definately take you up on the offer.

Had some great advice today from Sleepy and the guys at Full Throttle Motorcycles. Much appreciated and makes you feel less lost when you have some good value trustworthy advice.

Thanks everyone else for the assistance. I will only have the bottom end of the motor to worry about then. Nothing to worry about there I'm sure. Ha.