Author Topic: crud in radiators  (Read 907 times)

Offline jamie ashcroft

• Novice
    • View Profile
crud in radiators
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »
Hello all i am just on with cleaning up an 88 cr 125 ,which has the usual problem of the corroded impeller housing for the cooling system ,i am trying to find another housing ,i think up to 96 would fit and is it from 89 they changed to aluminum ,i was cleaning and flushing the radiators last night and found crud stuck in the water rails inside you can only see through the rad cap hole ,i gave the rails a poke with a wiper blade strip and it broke up ,seems the crud is the same as is coating the impeller ,water does flow through pretty good with hose pipe ,but i think it would be wise to try and get rid of the deposits, the rads are in otherwise mint condition not even the fins are flattened over as the bike has had very little use ,does anyone know of a product i can maybe leave in the rads to dissolve then flush them out,my local rad guy says he would have to saw the caps off then weld  them back together not sure how oem they would look after that ? some one must have come across this as all mid eighties hondas have the soft metal problem

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: crud in radiators
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »
can buy new rads for $80-100 off ebay I wouldn't bother trying to clean them
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: crud in radiators
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
go to a radiator place that's bike friendly and get a quote. Bendigo Radiators are good with bike stuff and good with price