Author Topic: Good KLX250B engine or complete runner.  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Good KLX250B engine or complete runner.
« on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »
I feel like crying right now  :'(   I got my freshly rebuilt engine back from the blasters a few days ago, I thought id have a go at soda blasting it complete. Well the moron filled it with water and paint stripper! The engine is a write off! Its locked solid completely rusted!!
If anyone has a good KLX engine or even runner to palm off for a reasonable price please let me know.
Cheers

Simo63

Re: Good KLX250B engine or complete runner.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:01:05 pm »
I feel like crying right now  :'(   I got my freshly rebuilt engine back from the blasters a few days ago, I thought id have a go at soda blasting it complete. Well the moron filled it with water and paint stripper! The engine is a write off! Its locked solid completely rusted!!
If anyone has a good KLX engine or even runner to palm off for a reasonable price please let me know.
Cheers

Bad news there it seems. But if you strip it and rebuild it sooner rather than later then you might get away with it only needing bearings, seals and gaskets. Chuck in some fresh rings and a cam chain if needed and you've got an engine that should do a lot more miles.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:06:45 pm »
Put metho thru it first ( gets rid of moisture ) now soak it in diesel for a week.

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:16:45 pm »
Get onto Simo & whack this into the KLX = Kazsuki!!!!

RM250A Motor complete with electrics

« on: May 31, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »

1976 RM250A motor. Complete engine including CDI, CDI Box and Coil

Also has exhaust manifold fitted

Missing piston.  Crank in excellent condition. Bore in excellent condition.

All splines in excellent condition and never welded/butchered

Engine number RM250-16309

Qld but can deliver to CD10

bargain at $500
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

mainline

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 07:25:01 pm »
I wouldn't have thought the Soda Blasting company would have agreed to do a complete rebuilt engine?

Simo63

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 07:29:32 pm »
Put metho thru it first ( gets rid of moisture ) now soak it in diesel for a week.

Good advice .. I assumed it had sat for a week or more already ... if not do this. But if it has sat for a while the bearings might be too far gone for such a high performance motor (lololol :) )

Simo63

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:36 pm »
Get onto Simo & whack this into the KLX = Kazsuki!!!!

RM250A Motor complete with electrics

Thanks Steve but the RM Motor has been sold :)

I will remove the ad

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:07:58 am »
Sadly its been nearly a week, its too far gone. It looks like its been at the bottom of the ocean for a year :( Apparently the guy covered it in paint stripper and hit it with a karcher first. I will never do this again, full strip down to blast the cases or not at all, not worth the risk.
I paid him good dollars to destroy a good engine. Im not sure if I have a leg to stand on if I go chasing some level of compensation?

Simo63

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:45:06 am »
Sadly its been nearly a week, its too far gone. It looks like its been at the bottom of the ocean for a year :( Apparently the guy covered it in paint stripper and hit it with a karcher first. I will never do this again, full strip down to blast the cases or not at all, not worth the risk.
I paid him good dollars to destroy a good engine. Im not sure if I have a leg to stand on if I go chasing some level of compensation?

Mate that sucks. Without knowing the conversations and understanding before they did the job, it's hard to comment but if they knew it was a reco motor then I'd be chasing them hard for compensation.

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:11:26 am »
If it's only been a  week strip it down asap and let it soak in Diesel . It's worth a try just for parts.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 01:34:35 pm »
If it's only been a  week strip it down asap and let it soak in Diesel . It's worth a try just for parts.

Yep, strip it down as quick as you can, locked solid may just be some ball bearings seized up but if you leave it too long the acids from the paint stripper may eat into the hard facing of the gears, also the cases and barrel will be salvageable but the longer you leave it the more parts will rust in and not let go.

Where are you based, these were for sale recently, I nearly bought one myself but bailed out for various reasons
http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=35316.0
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 03:30:24 pm »
Iv pulled the head off and its soaking in kero. I think Iv saved the new rebore and NOS piston. I dont have anymore time to touch the bottom end till next week. Iv already contacted that guy with the engine and dealings are happening! :) I saw the add at the same time you did..haha.
see yall at Blackwood on the XT500 and XL100!!

Simo63

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 03:35:17 pm »
Just put the whole motor or bottom end in a tub filled with diesel until you get time to look at it.  The longer you wait, the more damage can be done.  A tub and diesel should not cost any more than $40 :)

Offline jamie ashcroft

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 07:15:36 pm »
klx two or fourstoke motor i have a fourstroke old 250 motor sure it says kdx or klx on the engine number i will have a look

oldfart

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:18 pm »
Don't let the crank sit is diesel too long as the bearings hard facing hate it.