Author Topic: Z50 bore kit  (Read 2484 times)

Offline misfit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Z50 bore kit
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:51:59 pm »
Has anyone here fitted one of the 88cc bore kits to a Z50? If so, which one did you use, was it a hassle to fit (eg. did you have to bore out the hole in the cases), and what's it go like?

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Z50 bore kit
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:31 pm »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:41:57 pm »
I have installed an 88cc kit on a CRF50 for a customer,It made a huge difference,no need to modify the cases,there are a few different kits,some use the stock 50 head & others come with a head to match the bigger cylinder(they cost a lot more though ;)),they will go much better with the bigger head which I think is a 70 head,make sure you get the right kit to suit your model as I don't think the later XR/CRF kits fit the early Z models ;)you will also need a bigger carb to suit,
 I put a cylinder(Actually 72cc) & head off a C70  Honda stepthru on my Z50J with a CT110 carb & inlet manifold back in the days before you could get all the pitbike goodies available now & it hauled ass, For a minibike that is :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline misfit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:17 pm »
Which 88 kit did you use smed? The Takegawa and Trailbikes ones are what I've been looking at, in particular the kits which have the barrel, piston, carby and manifold and gaskets. I think I'll only worry about changing the head later on if I feel it needs it.

I can't get the Monkey Garage link to work, I used to look at that forum a bit a couple of years ago, but it seems its no longer in operation anymore?

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:00 am »
I used a BBR 88cc kit,Cylinder,head,carb, The head & cylinder off any Honda 70 C/CT/ST/ATC etc up till about early 80s will fit the Z, The ports on the 70 head are huge compared to the tiny 50 ones ;) I think from memory the valves are bigger too,I reckon my 70 kitted Z went just as good or better than the 88 kitted CRF,If you wanted to go a bit cheaper,find a second hand 70 top end ,Bored to max OS =75cc roughly from memory :)

http://www.z50.com.au/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=22&products_id=263

http://classichonda50saustralia.com.au/store/index.php

http://www.retrobikesaustralia.com/index.php?p=1_1_HOME

Offline misfit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
Theres some pretty cool stuff on those sites, thanks for that.