Author Topic: Dry Ice Blasting  (Read 2142 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Dry Ice Blasting
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:01:53 am »

I spent today at a local pub for our 3 monthly meeting of the Cessnock motorcycle club old boys day, which consists of a few beers, lunch and a general catch up and talk.  Some blokes bring photos others tell stories and none bring thier wives.  This seems to be the only time you see most of the blokes that you used to hang around and ride with when we were all a lot younger.
  This brings me to my question, while talking to one of the fella's he was telling us about how he gets his motors, boxes etc cleaned up using dry ice blasting, no sand or glass to find it's way into oil ways, crevises, places where it can stay and cause problems down the track he even uses it on carbi's and motors that he hasn't pull down just got them blasted without worrying about shit getting inside the motor.  He said that the job seem to stay pretty dry and the dry ice just disappears after a few seconds and the motor is spotless and no residue.
  Any of you fella's ever used it and if so what are your thoughts on it?  Not sure of the costs involved but if it's similar to other blasting it might be worth a try.
                                                                      Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Ice Blasting
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:31:14 am »
Very good. Used in food industry as it uses a safe consumable that leaves no residue. Used on steam turbines and other industrial equipment also so would do old dirt bikes for sure!
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:13:04 am »
Are you sure he is not talking about Soda Blasting?
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:55:45 am »
I usually make the effort to check out the Engineering Expo when it comes to town every couple of years, last one I went to I was checking out a blasting machine to then learn it was a dry ice blaster.
First I had heard of one and the guy gave demo’s of cleaning up old engine cases, it did a marvelous job and I was impressed, I wanted one, it was exactly what I needed….

… until I learned the price, around the $30 grand mark.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/