Author Topic: IT465 Project  (Read 7817 times)

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
IT465 Project
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:10:25 pm »
Gidday All, here's some pics of the build of my 1981 IT465, started as a total wreck, only salvaged the frame barrel and cases.. they had to be repaired... extensively. I'll let the pics tell the story, other than most of it is now either new or very good secondhand. in the end I ended up having enough to build a second one from the leftover spares. which ultimately will have all of the good parts as the frame and engine are better.. for obvious reasons.

was definitely a black hole for IT parts for a little while around here ::)

Cheers!
Leslie

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: IT465 Project
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:46:04 pm »

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:50:30 pm by 4V5 »

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:48:30 pm »
it looks good i have been offered a 465 but i like my pe400's but a big it would be nice thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:53:11 pm »
Gidday michael, if the IT is complete it would be worth considering... keep the PE company.

Cheers!
Leslie

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:12:00 pm »
Gidday All, here's some pics of the second bike in the photos, it was bought for parts for the other bike, but when rebuilding the good one the pile of parts that were still useable but weren't as pretty seemed to go pretty close to be enough for another bike.
It's being built as the 'rider' at the moment it still has some of the 'correct' parts the good one is missing such as the front end but once this one is complete and running I'll worry about it then. still a long way to go, does look better than what it did though!

Cheers!
Leslie

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:50:32 pm »
Nice work 4V5, that's a very good extensive repair on those crankcases ! who did the welding and was there much distortion and re-machining involved?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:09:26 pm »
looks good thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

lms6201

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »
that case looks the same as my yz465 , i turned up a cutting tool that fits the clutch cover k start boss to re bore the shaft boss in the crank case , it,s a little bit out but good enough for starting , damage caused by a massive backfire
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:31:46 pm by lms6201 »

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 04:46:51 pm »
Gidday Hoony, a local bloke did the repairs, after he had welded the case I took it to Tafe for the machining, the inside part where the gearbox runs needed the weld milled away back flush to the case, the other part under the clutch cover only needed a whisper taken away for clearance for the kick start mechanism. the clutch cover surface only needed 0.3mm skimmed off the surface at the very back for it to be all level, that 0.3mm was the piece being out by that much. I left that gap between the two welds on the top.. the 0.3mm wasn't worth lapping down for gap over such a small area. it does have a tiny bow along it on the inside too but it does torque down flat and it does run OK so far. the kick shaft is a tiny amount loose in the case, would be nice to turn up a bush and machine the case out for the bush, but the play the shaft has is no worse that the other case that hasn't been repaired..

it seemed the previous owner had only just 'rebuilt' it with a new piston (the bike was a disgrace though) but never checked the woodruff key which had sheared, I don't believe it was being kicked either as the head is missing chunks out of the fins from the kick arm. the piston was still shiny, one of the very few things I've salvaged from the original purchase

that bike was my first attempt at a rebuild, I'd probably walk right on past another bike in the same 'as found' condition now... I say that but chances are depending what it was I'd buy it anyway  ;D

Cheers!
Leslie

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »
Gidday All! a bit more of an update on the 465's still a few minor things to go but getting there..

Cheers!
Leslie

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 10:51:06 pm »
Here's some pics of the 'spare' bike.. it will be using that questionable front end but I won't be racing it so that shouldn't matter ;)

Chances are it's lending itself to be heading down a different path anyway..

Cheers!
Leslie

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:02 pm »
Here's the final outcome from the two builds:

with enough parts left over for a third one.. I fear it will never end ;) :D

Cheers!
Leslie

mxfool

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 02:14:24 pm »
The IT with the disc brake front end could make a good supermoto but they both look the goods.
mxfool

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »
Wow has it been this long!

The first 465 has celebrated 10 years of ownership  8) I'd best update with both bikes current statuses!

the first 465 has been to every event I've attended, and it has gone through a few different guises over the years.. not one to leave something alone it has been refined to being a reliable steed but still in need of a little evolution..

with some US spec plastics and a trial of exhaust wrap which isn't a great idea.. it's quieter but hold water in creek crossings causing a sauna for a spell afterwards  ::)

10 years has evolved it into this:

still very much a bitsa, still a work in progress.. it's a bike however I can fuel up and hop on and go.. there are plans for new wheels and a fresh make-over.

the spare bike has evolved more.. and quicker

after a disasterous weekend where it lunched a clutch (assembler error.. not too proud to admit that ;)) it got the rebuild it deserved. the promise to turf the engine it had and build a fresh one was carried out.. an ebay purchase of an IT turned out to be IT in only frame and tank... turned out to be more YZ465H!

current specs:

YZ465H barrel and crankcase Wiseco piston
YZ490 gearbox and stator
IT465H clutch carburettor and head

a 10mm 'Griffo Engineering' reedblock spacer IT carb and airbox

a beautiful pair of wheels procured from 'Pro-Resto' in Windsor  ;)

DG pipe Via Prime 8 racing

Trail tech Vapour speedo, read off the rear wheel

Fat pro taper bars on new risers.. YZ465H top tripleclamp

Chinese pitbike footpegs

YZ426 kick arm on YZ490 kick axle

a YZ490J 15L tank special order in IT blue with a YZ250J seat with a smebike cover

and beautiful replica glass bodywork from a true enthusiast

it's such a bitsa.. it could have been built so many different ways but it's a product of what I had at had that could work the best

and such a first world problem when your bike is in a magazine... with someone else riding it ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers!
Leslie