Author Topic: Another KLX250 question!!  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Another KLX250 question!!
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
This may be a stupid question but................ How do you get the fork DUST seals out?? I want to rebuild the forks. All I can think of is drilling a couple of self tappers into the steel section and trying to lever them up? There must be a better way that im not aware of?? Ideas  :o Thanks

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another KLX250 question!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:01:40 PM »
Undo the damper rod bolt on the bottom after removing the top cap,spring & oil, Remove the clip on top of the seal,If the forks have no replaceable bushes the inner usually will slide straight out & you can then gently prise out the seal with a tire lever etc, If they are bushed forks,put the lower leg in a vice with soft jaws via the axle clamp & slide hammer the inner & outer apart,the seal will come along with the inner,you may need to do the slide hammer action 3 or 4 times to get them apart :)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:36:16 PM »
Ok ill give that a go! I have done many fork seals before but the dust cover has always been rubber thats easy to pull off then remove the clip above the seal. On the Kwaka the dust seal is different,  like a steel press fit?. Hence I cant get to the clip.  So what your saying is once I remove the bottom bolt I can just slide the whole stanchion out?  Once thats out im sweet. I'll let you know. Cheers

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
don't pull the springs out until you have loosened the bottom allen key other wise the damper rod will just spin.... you don't have to pull the springs out, just drain the oil or let it run out the damper rod hole when you pull it to bits.  get the bike well of the ground or you will trap the sliders under the damper rods!! a fun time!

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
EZY PEZY! All done, don't know why I thought it was going to be different to anything else? Cheers for the advice though. Pushing to get this bike built for Blackwood Vinduro!!  :D