Author Topic: need some triples bored out  (Read 4482 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: need some triples bored out
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:25 am »
I realise it's a different set of circumstances but I've bored a set of 32mm Arces/Ceriani triple clamps out to 35mm with no problems whatsoever. I'm pretty certain the 32mm clamps are the exact same casting as the 35mm version, the only difference being the machined bore.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »
Mark, that seems to be the case with the clamps from the Yamaha MX175 and the MX250/360 forks -- same casting, different bore sizes.

More than one set of Moto Guzzi 35mm clamps have been bored to 38mm for road use.

cheers,
Michael

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 01:31:43 pm »
A mate of mine needs a set of 40mm triples bored out to 43mm to take Yamaha forks.
Anyone on here know any mobs that can do this work.
happy to post to the right place, my mate lives near Newcastle NSW.
Thanks for any help ;)
A nice little machining job, here's how I would do it rather than bore it on  a mill, I would machine a plug from scrap the same size as the new fork leg, get some shims to put between the slit on the clamps and adjust the shims so with the slightest pressure you can hold the plug. That will ensure the clamp bore is round when tightened against the shims. I would then attach to a faceplate on the lathe using the centre in the plug for alignment  via a dead centre in the tailstock. 2 cuts and one slow with fine feed on to finish, make sure not to cut back away from the chuck. Rinse repeat for the other hole. Any competent machinist should be able to do it.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 02:23:54 pm »
as an amen to this,
my husky triples bored from 40mm out to 43 survived the Toowoomba track with me flat landing, beating up myself with 120kg of bike behind it over the step up jumps. I wasn't  good enough to clear them (but then not many were!)
I cant remember in 10 odd years of vmx such consistent hard landings, so I didn't do it all the time as the body/ wrists couldn't take it..
So either the husky triples can take being bored out, or now they are stressed to the point of breaking on the next ride!!