Author Topic: New Member from the States  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Makotosun

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Vintage Yamaha Enduro Fans
New Member from the States
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
Greetings from the Northern Hemisphere! Thanks for the add Graeme!

Long time rider and Yamaha Enduroholic (That's what we call you if you can't seem to say "NO" to just one more!). I am also member of a group informally known as GruppeTAT - a bunch of old farts who undertook, mostly successfully, a ride across the USA from coast to coast, on the Trans America Trail (www.transamtrail.com) . . . on 1971-1975 Yamaha 2-stroke enduros. Seriously. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1005_trans_america_trail I am the one on the bad end of the two rope . . .

Our group met on an online forum, and after several adventures, now we are building what we hope will be a true compendium of information about the Yammies from 1968 - 1983, mostly focused on the two strokers. It is hoped to contain a lot of the stories of our adventures, as well as grow a community of hopelessly addicted enduro riders.

We have a forum, blog, and a growing library of other information. The site is free though it does require registration to get to some resources. Drop in and poke around: www.Yamaha-Enduros.com

The bike I rode across the country was a specially prepped 1975 Yamaha DT400B shown below:

I am also one of the webmasters at the Hodaka Club at hodakaclub.org which is focused exclusively around the "Little Bike that Could!"

I am looking forward to exploring your forums and website and contributing what I can!

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New Member from the States
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum! :)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
Welcome Makotosun

The bike I rode across the country was a specially prepped 1975 Yamaha DT400B shown below:

That is a trick looing bike mate .. but if it was me I would have put those little NOS stickers on those canisters to keep the punters guessing :)

Offline pinned

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »
Hi Makotosun, by the look of the pictures you must have a lot of good stories to tell,welcome.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »
im sure they do that to prove it can be done... ;D

Offline Makotosun

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
It CAN be done :)

The yellow bike partook of the USA TransAmerica Vintage ride,mine segment of which was documented in [size=78%]http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1005_trans_america_trail/[/size].

We ultimately followed that with the Western section and the Eastern section. Great fun and a story I am starting to post in serial form. I will post links as it happens.

Here is a picture of a bad day on the western section . . .

Another of the bikes that day:

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »
Hi Makotosun

Now that does NOT look like fun.
Cheers.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
Gday Makotosun, hey whats that white ??? sand :o   ;) :) :D ;D 8)

Offline Makotosun

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
The overall ride was actually quite fun! On the leg through the white frozen sand  8)  we went from Monticello, Utah to Port Orford, Oregon. We had every kind of weather from Hot to Snow to drizzle to really cold. Amazing ride.

The finish line photo was worth the whole trip though . . .

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:54 AM »
 :) Great stuff, you guys are an insperation and make the old memories surface, yep i rode on white stuff once and it stuck to the wheels, on a salt lake, with black sticky, stinky stuff down under ;) :D keep ya pics and stories comeing. cheers

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »
"white frozen sand" "snow"       UUUUUUUUHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! horrific sadistic nightmares!     >:( ::)       Welcome mate great bikes Cheers Tim754           
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.